Grinding when clutch pedal depressed

A conundrum to solve... I pretty much know that the gearbox is going to have to come out, but I thought i'd entertain the intrigue and get some bets placed before dismantling.

History:

1997 300Tdi 110 150k. The clutch pedal has always been stiff after about 30 mins on the motorway, and having a "gritty" feeling so smooth changes were not easy. It would also lurch a bit when trying to put it into first gear at traffic lights off the slip road, presumably the clutch plate not fully disengaging (drag). The clutch would sometimes judder a bit when moving off from cold.

Yesterday:

Off to LandroverMax and coming off the M40 it was stiffer than usual, to the point where the pedal wouldn't return at the rate my foot would - really stiff and juddery. Did the course, with some muddy wading, clutch was fine starting off home. On getting home after an hour or so on the motorway, the clutch pedal was stiff again and not following exactly with the clutch engagement/disengagement. On one change into second gear, the clutch was slipping with the pedal fully up, before it caught.

Today:

Did 30 miles on the motorway, and entering a junction, the pedal wasn't stiff, but in one gear change it stayed down to the floor. I had to lever it up with my foot. The bite point would then change with every pedal press, sometime at the bottom and sometimes right at the top. 5 mins later it made a squealing/grinding noise when the pedal was depressed that probably happened 30% of the time. Drove back 30 miles later on the motorway and I was convinced the clutch was slipping. Hills seemed to require that little bit more oomph to maintain speed. Entering town the clutch felt fine, but every change had the squealing/grinding noise (see video). Accelerating from 20mph in 3rd gear usually gives a kick in the back with a 300Tdi, but the engine raced and the speedo needle climbed slowly. (so it's definitely slipping)

Video:

Now:

It squeals all the time. :( I don't really want to drive it any more in this state. The interesting thing is that the engine idle slows slightly as the clutch is depressed. You can't tell this from the video.

Conclusion:

I think i'll try some pedal adjustments and bleeding, but it might just be pointless. My vote is on a release bearing that was ropey, got a bit wet and is now hating it. Another option might be a worn clutch plate that's scoring the flywheel?!?

Fingers crossed someone might say it's an easy fix, but i'm resigned to the inevitable! I have no idea when the clutch was last replaced, so all eyes point to it. At least it'll mean I can get a new gearbox... :D

Any other ideas? Cheers

Could be a combination of things, dry, worn thrust bearing, clutch plate linings breaking up or clutch fork breaking through where the slave rod contacts it, the latter is very common. Whatever it is you're going to have to investigate it anyway so a new clutch assembly is probably on the cards, just hope that the flywheel pressure plate is not damaged! I'm surprised you've let it go so long, I'd be scared to drive it like it. ;)

yep that's a clutch release bearing, went on my 200tdi. Did it for about 200 miles and then lost the clutch. There is guide on the forum somewhere for putting an extra washer in to stop if failing so fast. Did this with mine and replaced the clutch, no problems so far (7000 miles ago)

I'm surprised you've let it go so long, I'd be scared to drive it like it. ;)

Heh well it's done 6000 miles since I got it and it's only started making a noise this weekend. :blink:

I've learnt that tinkering with things for the sake of it means I open up a can of worms... (chassis poking) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So my bank holiday weekend has been jam packed. In the 3 days I managed to put in a new clutch, a new Ashcroft gearbox and a second hand Disco transfer box alone. Friggin hard work and my fingers hurt as I type! Hope I don't have to do again any time soon. The engine crane was a godsend!

Turned out that the release bearing had melted (as everyone guessed :) ). The clutch plate itself had some life left in it but the pressure plate fingers were very worn. Fitted a 130 Valeo clutch and aluminium release bearing.

post-18025-0-71805100-1314656892_thumb.jpgpost-18025-0-06316800-1314656902_thumb.jpg

Cheers to all.