Can you get to Africa & back in a weekend? Let's see...

FridgeFreezer

A bit of spur-of-the-moment pub talk on Wednesday night led to the suggestion of doing a pie-based road-trip round Europe this weekend, however discussing the plan with TSD today he pointed out that it's possible to get from Africa (top of Morocco) to blighty in ~25 hours, which became an infinitely cooler idea and hence the current "plan".

So, the ferry leaves Portsmouth in 3 hours, arrives in Le Havre at 0800, and then we're just going to see how far we can get before we have to turn round and come home for work on Monday.

Any forumers in the vicinity keep you eyes peeled for a gold freelander TD4 with LR4x4 sticker on the back & 3 tired blokes in it. :wacko:

Approximate route:

http://maps.google.c...&mra=ls&t=m&z=5

It's 1365 miles to Ceuta, we've got a full tank of diesel, half a pack of pop tarts, it's dark and we don't have any sunglasses...

Hit it :P

(We should be backl at Portsmouth docks ~2130hrs on Sunday, cripes!)

You will have time to have (only just) lunch or supper in Morocco and turn back ! Cool challenge but all that driving (not in a v12 aston) for just a meal, maybe a night? I'd rather take a cattle flight there in that time frame.

Good luck !

edit: hope you factor in traffic too, hope you make it

I suppose when you fall asleep at your desk on Monday, that'll be my fault then!

I've done it as far as the ferry at Algeciras, one way, in a 200tdi Disco, in 25 hours, including stopping for a short kip, and another stop to rewire the headlights!

So we reckoned in a Freebie they should be able to set foot in Africa before turning around.

Good luck! Have Fun!

(I might wander down and wave to the ferry as it goes past in a couple of hours!)

Oh sheer madness..... Now this I my idea of a forum trip....

Wonder if we can try and get this sort of challenge to become the norm on here ? :blush:

Maybe some easier ones to start.... Cross Saturday morning, evening meal in Venice, Budapest, Rome or Monaco on Saturday evening and home on Sunday?

Neil

(Need to arrange a mortgage if we use the V8)

Last time dave and fridge followed me to sliven in Bulgaria in under 3 days so this is upping the anti a little mind it was -20 degrees at one point and we did stay for a week. If he had given a little notice some of us would of joined him.

Dave are you sure he made the ferry as I've witnessed his version of making it on time!

Mike

I love the warning on Google Maps.

This route has a ferry - okay, we can work with that.

This route has tolls - again, workable and to be expected.

This route crosses through France - noooooo!

In all seriousness, this idea sounds dangerous and highly pointless...I love it! :D

Give us a trip report when you get back? :)

wonder where the intrepid travellers are now ?

about time we had an update.

Message from Fridge @ 20:44

"Well having done some maths on the ferry and realised we only have 36 hours on the continent, plans have been modified and we're now having tea in Andorra before crossing off a visit to spain and heading back. Red Bull on standby :D"

(If he gives me more than 24 hours notice next time, there will be online tracking available, as we have done for previous escapades!)

Teresa has just said shouldn't he be a blond she in a blue jump suit driving a blue Dakar.

Oh god I may of started something here.......

Hat, coat, exit stage left.....

Mike

(oh dear she's on a roll now:

Her; question how many countries can you drive through in a weekend.

Me; don't say things your not willing to commit to.

Her; we've got a spare weekend in December!)

Well as per Top Gear we were ambitious... but a bit carp ;)

Once I'm over the monster(energy) hangover I'll be more coherent :mellow:

The idea of "We should do a road-trip" had been kicking about for a while, the plan to do one this weekend came about after a mate's birthday celebration got postponed at the last minute, so all 3 of us were at a loose end simultaneously. The discussion in the pub on Wednesday night distilled into the idea of having a pie in as many European countries as possible in a weekend (and will probably be done in future episodes), but the lure of getting to frickin' Africa was too much.

Unfortunately the ferry timings gave us ~35 hours whereas TSD's example was 25 hours one-way, so falling a bit short for the round-trip even with high levels of stupidity/optimism. Since we were out for fun rather than having a race ticket booked or somesuch, we modified the plan; initially to "how far down can you get by the mid-point (midnight Saturday)", but then to go to a country none of us had been to; Andorra.

The aim on the way down was to arrive in the best time possible, which would then dictate how much free time we had on the way back for sight-seeing. Aside from an irritatingly slow section of D-road after Tours, we sacrificed scenery for speed and stuck to the (mostly toll) motorways.

Anyway - we got to Andorra at about 9pm (or maybe 10pm?) local time, after crawling up a winding mountain road through cloud/fog which reduced visibility to almost nothing. We had a cracking meal at one of the few local restaurants we could find that was open, got back in the car and drove back down the mountain and out via Spain :D

Having a few hours in hand we detoured slightly to visit Carcassonne which was awesome, even if we were wandering round at 3am like rubbish burglars. Back in daylight we also detoured to go through Le Mans, although thanks to the various A/E/D/N numbers for the same stretch of road we didn't have time to locate & drive up the Mulsanne straight.

Then it was the dash to the ferry and home in time for tea & medals.