discovery drop arm on defender

will4x4

Hi im finally going to do this mod and will buy a relocation damper kit so i can still run one.

I currently have an uprated steering arm on my defender will this be long enough to screw a ball joint in instead of that funny join that also has half the damper on.. or do i need to buy a discovery strengthened arm?

my question is can i keep the same arm / length wise plus is there anything else i will need to buy? (i have a disco drop arm already)

thanks

Agree with above.

Have spent a good few hours today, trying to get my drop arm off. In the end had to resort to cutting it off.

No easy thing, quite tight on space. But at least I now know I won't have to do this again.

I was doing this due to wear in the original joint, and went for the modification so I can also upgrade to sumo bars, using Gwyn Lewis's damper bracket.

What a job............

Andy

I've done this mod about 5 years ago or so and it's been an absolutely brilliant one, instead as some else has said it taking me at least 1/2 a day to change over that daft drop arm ball joint It now takes me 10 minutes a side to change over, and as long as you copper slip the threads then it'll be even easier to do-I've attached a pic to show you how mine is

HTH

John

post-16623-0-03761900-1317029805_thumb.jpg

thanks guys, so do i need a discovery uprated steering arm or will my defender uprated arm be long enough?

thanks

Will

I think you are talking about the "drag link", not the "steering arm".

The drag link is the bar that goes from the drop arm to one hub, is this what you mean?

Andy

Presumably as long as the damper doesn't bottom (or top) out it should work.

I had nothing to measure, just made sure this was the case and clamped it on. TBH, I think what I did was fitted everything, left the clamp loose, and turned full lock left, this moved the bracket to a good position, I moved it 10mm more and clamped it down, checked full lock right and it hit the stops before I over-extended the damper -job done.

:)

Is it critical where the damper bracket goes? I intend to measure the distance from the chassis on the original set up and put the new bracket at that distance on the new bar. Presumably as long as the damper doesn't bottom (or top) out it should work.

Malcolm

If you mark the steering damper when it is in it's middle position, and then fit it whilst wheels are straight forward.

You can buy a stock drag link for a 300 TDi Disco for less than 20quid on the bay, I swapped mine recently becasue ti needed new joints and I couldn't be bothered fighting it.

I went the other way on Blue, it had the older style drop arm so i fitted a Defender drag link and damper. I remember I had to swap the whole link because the threads were different lengths inside the drag link.

One thing i don't like about the Defender set up though is that the damper forces the drag link to screw round, so if you fit a gas damper the ball joints are always rubbing on the rubbers.

I don't really understand what this mod is all about, but the ball joint on my 90 drop arm is loose again so I'm interested in anything which improves the precision of the steering. Can someone post some pictures to show what the differences between the original and modified set up is, please?

If I can get to understand what needs doing (including identifying the parts required) I'll take pictures as I do it and create an article for the tech archive.

Nick.

I don't really understand what this mod is all about, but the ball joint on my 90 drop arm is loose again so I'm interested in anything which improves the precision of the steering. Can someone post some pictures to show what the differences between the original and modified set up is, please?

If I can get to understand what needs doing (including identifying the parts required) I'll take pictures as I do it and create an article for the tech archive.

Nick.

Nick If you refer to my pic on the previous page you'll see what the difference is between the two setup's

HTH

John

The major difference is what the ball joint is fixed too.

On a Defender the ball joint is part of the drop arm. This drop arm can be a bitch of a job to remove, and then is only rebuilding the ball joint on the end.

On a Discovery the ball joint is on the end of the drag link bar (from hub to drop arm). This is easily removed, is a standard ball joint, and does not involve removing the drop arm ever again (we hope). Will find some pics.

Andy

There's always another way!

When replacing the standard Defender ball joint, drill and tap a hole in the round steel ball-joint backplate and fit a grease nipple, that way you can ensure it's always lubricated properly and much less likely to wear out.

It worked for me anyway.