Swivel Housing Gaiter Kits

tiagoc

what's your oppinion about the Swivel Housing Gaiter Kits? the original ones are made of leather, but Britpart and Bailcast have ones made of rubber

can they really keep all the nasty stuff away or will they only hide possible problems with the swivels and make maintenance more difficult? :unsure:

If Britpart quality on rubber is anything to go by, don't bother! put it this way the britpart propshaft gaiters flew apart after a month and the top radiator hose has bad perishing after only two months. Gash to say the least.

I went for the proper leather items, heavily greased withinthe gaiters before I fitted them and I foresee no issues. Some say that once the water gets in it stays in there, but if you wack in enough grease as you can while fitting them the water should float until it absorbs back through the leather gaiters

I would say that for a vehicle that spends most of it's life on the road, then the gaiters are a good idea - keeping a lot of the carp off the swivel is a good thing. However, for a predominantly off road motor, then they will cause problems as they will hold onto the rubbish - especially the rubber variety. Personally I wouldn't consider the rubber ones, and have the leather ones fitted to my IIa.

</2p>

Mark

Wot he said!

On road - yeah - good idea.

Off road, forget em, same goes with propshaft gaiters and the naff gaiters that come with procomp shocks. They all fill up with mud and water and rot what they're trying to protect twice as quick as if they werent fitted!

Jon

Fitted leather gators to my S111 after fitting new swivels and I wish I hadn't.

Muck got in (where the gator got caught against the lock-stop causing a hole) and the resulting muck/sludge build-up caused more corrosion than leaving them open to the elements. Never fitted them since and never had a problem with corrosion on the swivels.

Yeah wot they said - fitted some to mine, when I took one off 'cos it had got ripped it was full of very swivel-unfriendly silt :( took the other one off to compare and that was full too!

So the moral of the story is that you should regularly wash your balls :P