Mounting Wiper Motor

When offering up my wiper motor to the td5 bulkhead i noticed there is a mounting plate on the inside of the bulkhead

Bulkhead002.jpg

that the earlier bulkheads dont have.

Bulkhead010.jpg

Anyway, to mount my motor to this 'plate' do i use the same hardware ie

Wiper Motor Clamp – BHA4790L

Wiper Motor Pad – 150844

Nut Plate – MTC2607

If you are fitting the later dash then use the proper fitting kit and drive tube as specified for those vehicle, will make things much easier for you as everything should just bolt up.

If you are fitting the earlier dash then just cut that plate off and fit the wiper motor where it usually goes. When we did a friend's one we just fitted the motor to the drive tube to ascertain the positioning, then drilled holes and fitted riv-nuts to the bulkhead.

Sorry its not very clear, but i'd give it a go cutting the drive wire/tube down as there's not much of a curve left in to be honest. if you've got the old clamp etc, don't hold me to it but it should fit.

post-20087-0-28992300-1330715285_thumb.jpg

my td5 unit had a problem last winter so I changed the drive motor out for my original 86 model, what I found was that the motor drove the oposite way... pain, so I ended up fixing the td5 mechanism with parts form the 86 model. all the bits are interchangable. certainly the motor and parts.

Yeah well after looking at the price of all the parts (£65 delivered from britcar uk!!!!) i think i will have a go at cutting down the original tube down.

Mav im not sure how the motor could drive the opposite way? Wouldnt the wipers initially go the wrong way?

Nope, because the wheelboxes are mounted the other way up on the later models I think.

It's not so much the direction of rotation that's important, but the resting position of the drive system and therefore whether the cable pushes first or pulls first. Thinking about it you could possibly change that by pulling the motor apart and rotating the drive wheel 180 degrees. After all the resting position is only set by the park switch and its activation by the tab on the wheel.

If you are fitting the earlier dash then just cut that plate off and fit the wiper motor where it usually goes. When we did a friend's one we just fitted the motor to the drive tube to ascertain the positioning, then drilled holes and fitted riv-nuts to the bulkhead.

Ok so considering i will be fitting early style dash ive decided to cut that plate off and fit the motor where the pre-td5 motor would go by using rubber coated rivnuts. However ive never fitted a rivnut in my life and would like to know how i fit them?