Fitting Advanced Alternator Regulator to 300tdi

So yesterday I fitted a Sterling Pro-Reg B and 4x SBS40 Batteries to my 90 and I thought id share for anyone else who might be interested in doing something similar.

1st Things first, Remove alternator

Now that I have installed the regulator I have found out that this step is no necessary as you can remove the alternator regulator without taking out the alternator lol. Removing the alternator on a 300tdi is not to much bother tho

IMG_20120302_114739.jpg

Pieeater3142 in the background playing with his inter cooler pipes

Now to connect a new field control wire to the brush's

IMG_20120302_122043.jpg

The instructions say to fit wires two short wires to the brushes, this is so that once the alternator is re-assembled we can measure the voltage from each wire two ground to work out what wire is the field control wire.

For anyone else fitting the regulator to a 300tdi (not sure on alternator type on 200tdi) you only need to connect a wire to the brush I have connected a black wire to as this was the wire that controls the field

IMG_20120302_122316.jpg

Now to fit the regulator

IMG_20120302_125403.jpg

Before fitting, remove the case and set the battery type. You can chose between Conventional Lead Acid, Sealed LEad Acide / AGM, Gel Batteries (Exide spec) and Gel USA Setting.

As I am installing it with some SBS40's I have set mine to Sealed Lead Acid

IMG_20120302_135546.jpg

After looking at tide marks etc in the battery I find that the front edge of the box is the driest.

The regulator need's 4 wires running back to the alternator

The new field controll wire (white), D+ wire (brown) and 2x Negative (black) to the case of the alternator, these need to be septate wires back to the alternator not joined together

You also need to run an ACC wire to the regulator to switch it on with the engine.

The last wire is the voltage sense wire, this just connects to the positive terminal on the batteries.

IMG_20120302_163041.jpg

All installed, Land rover cranks over no problems and now the alternator is kicking out 14.4v while running :)

The 4x SBS40's might seem to be an overkill but they where free so I thought I might as well use them.

Quick spec on the battery shows that they are 500cca / 2000a Short Circuit amps, 38Ah

This now gives me a a hefty 2000cca and 152ah of capacity :D

They also have an operating temperature of -40 to +50deg c so should be good for cold winter mornings (getting warmer now so that should not be an issue)

pioneer

I have moved your very helpful post from the members vehicles forum to our technical archive where anyone searching for this alternator output upgrade will be in a better position to find it.

I have a similar set up on my boat!

Thanks

John

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy