1" drive breaker bar - NO JOINTS.

Astro_Al

Hi all.

I'm trying to find a 1" drive breaker bar. Length is unimportant as I'll have to weld some long beefy pipe to it anyway to get the length I need.

I just need the actual 1" square drive right-angled bit which fits into the socket.

Anyone got any leads (or wanna bend me up some 1" bar stock? - which I don't have :rolleyes: ).

Help! Ta, Al.

Thanks Minivin, yes, sure it's a good call, definitely the scale is farmyard kit, but we don't have too many Massey-Ferguson dealerships 'round these here parts, pardner'. ;)

Anyone got any definite possibilities - like phone numbers / web sites / addresses etc?

I can't find any by searching on google. :(

Cheers Al.

Thanks Minivin, yes, sure it's a good call, definitely the scale is farmyard kit, but we don't have too many Massey-Ferguson dealerships 'round these here parts, pardner'. ;)

Anyone got any definite possibilities - like phone numbers / web sites / addresses etc?

I can't find any by searching on google. :(

Cheers Al.

nay probs ;)

Ebay Adapter 1" > 3/4"

1" Ratchet Head

nay probs ;)

Cool - ta again for that, but... :D

All I want is a solid one piece bar in 1" square stock. No joints, no ratchets, no adapters to smaller socketry, not plug-together extension arms creating wobbly bits in the system. Big, strong, simple. This things is gonna take some SERIOUS twisting, I want to avoid flexibility and especially the employment of smaller bits with adapters.

Sorry to sound negative, thanks for your efforts, but there MUST be a bog standard, no bells & whistles solid breaker bar that looks like a big steel 'L' shape?

Cheers, Al.

yep i've got one in my garage

youre not having it though.

hvae you tried mole valley (farmers supplies) as they usually hvae some interesting tools.

Edited:

having real problems finding a solid bar. ths is the closest i could get:

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/640mm-Sliding...p;category=1092

it's not what you're looking for but it would at least be easily adaptable!

Edited again:

Have searched Snap-on, Draper, Sealey, Sykes Pikavant and a couple of others- noone of them list totally solid 1" breaker bars anymore- they all have moveable heads!

Teng don't do anything above 3/4 which i was surprised about.

Will have a look at momento as i know they go pretty big- right just checked them and they ONLY do impact sockets!

I had such a thing in 1/2" which had its uses but from what experience I have had of using larger breaker bars (inc 1") the swivel head is usefull in absorbing any side to side movement on the scaffold pole when your hanging on the end trying to pull it down. Without this there is more chance of the socket dislodging. Don't know your specific application but the swivel joint also lets you keep the joint/elbow close to the wheel nut while letting you pull the bar out slightly to clear the tyre, without this you would need an extension to the short end of your L bar and introduce difficulties supporting the elbow under heavy use.

FWI my 1/2" solid L bar was a Britool part so if you're really intent on going that route they may be a source of a similar tool in 1".

I have the Koken catalogue at home. They do some very nice socketry and accessories. Can't help immediatly though.

Edit to say I found something on the ko-ken website : ko-ken

Go to the Catalogue, click on Hand Sockets > 1"(25.4mm)sq. > Handles & Accessories > Handles and you should be prestened with this at the bottom of the page:

8788.jpg

I belive Difflock are dealers for koken tools, as that i where my catalogue came from. I daren't think about the price though.....

Mark

Ok, thanks for everyone's varied suggestions, much appreciated.

I won one of those 1" solid drive bars on ebay for a tenner - thanks for the link Edd. Absolutely perfect - no moving bits (not much fun when you're hanging off a 15 or 20 foot bar...), cheap and no adapters - straight into a 1 inch socket, and I can weld the other end to some fat pipe without feeling guilty for scratching the chrome! :P . There wont be any sideways forces as I'll fab it all up so the reverse side is also supported and the whole shooting match is in pure torsion.

The application is removal of a stubborn bugger Mog hub nut.

Cheers chaps!

Al.

:)

this is on the truck that belonged to Arnold Scwarzenegger?

May as awell have been... these things are notorious - people have failed using 1" industrial impact wrenches, seriously long bars etc etc. Sadly, removing the axles before undoing the hub bolts is pretty catastrophic in terms of your chances of getting them undone. I'll have to fab up something solid to bolt the portal onto and take it from there.

I can't find a photo of the originals right now, but trust me, they were forged in the fires of hell itself :rolleyes: , here are the replacement ones which incorporate a central tyre inflation system.

gallery_139_25_570.jpg

For scale, the hex head is about 55mm. Beefy. B)

Al.

Don't you know nuffink? :huh:

F = ((MJ)D)^S where:

F = Total f'ing force applied to nut

M = Al's weight

J = The speed he jumps up and down on the end of the bar

D = length of bar

S = Amount of swearing that goes on

Just make sure you have a video camera to hand when a 20ft bit of scaffolding twangs back and whacks you in the chin with the force of a Mog hub nut :ph34r:

Mind you we'll probably hear the swearing from here :lol:

Don't you know nuffink? :huh:

F = ((MJ)D)^S where:

F = Total f'ing force applied to nut

M = Al's weight

J = The speed he jumps up and down on the end of the bar

D = length of bar

S = Amount of swearing that goes on

Just make sure you have a video camera to hand when a 20ft bit of scaffolding twangs back and whacks you in the chin with the force of a Mog hub nut :ph34r:

Mind you we'll probably hear the swearing from here :lol:

John ............ thats all very fine and a jolly good formula ........... but I dont know if Al's a fat git rotund, or a skinny rake :D:P

We need real numbers here ......... in body mass/ft ......... or grunt/metres :lol:

Ian

Minivin - yeah, that's exactly what it means - inflate / deflate on-the-fly, the 'little' part to the right of the hub bolt is the rotating air union. To be honest it's of limited benefit really unless you are being shot at and need to get outta there pronto, just a bit of a toy! And it'll beat the carp out of going round to each wheel with the pump / deflator. B)

BB Cowboy - I would consider myself 'athletic' :D . I have already tried undoing these with the help of Mr Moglite, who... ahem... according to Newton has a stronger gravitational pull than I do... :ph34r:

I can't remember how long the bar was, but it bent and the nut held fast. Most of the problem is holding the portal steady, I'll rig up a frame from 60mm box and an old brake drum I think.

I've got some spare weight in the garage (50 kgs calibrated), so I'll hang that lot off the bar for starters. That'll be about 1200 ftlbs at 4 metres.

Thanks to the FridgeFreezer Law of Universal Nut Torque, nut force (torque) is increased massively by a small increase in swearing (is this volume, or rate? - in order to maximise both should I look into hiring a rapper?). I hope the combo of 1200ftlbs static force, plus the full effect of Moglite's gravitational pull, the application of a blow torch (to the nut, not Moglite, unless he's really not 'pulling his weight'... literally) and a decent jig will see these suckers come loose.

Hmm, I need some more beefy bar now too...

Al.

Al - have you thought about using a slugging wench

Yeah, I thought I said, Andy is my slugging wench. :ph34r::unsure:

No, to be honest, I haven't. I figured finding enough torque won't be too difficult, it's just setting it all up so it's steady etc. Think I'll be ok with the fat bar, 1 inch drive some impact driving, heat and a big hammer. If not I'll investigate more high tech methods.

Al. ;)

slugging wrench is a bit more portable, Im sure the ginger mincer can produce enough downward thrust to crush most things - how about dropping a copy of rubber wear weekly on the floor in front of him at the appropriate moment, bound to get an extra 3 or 4 tonnes of force out of him then?

(hat coat gone)

BB Cowboy - I would consider myself 'athletic' :D . I have already tried undoing these with the help of Mr Moglite, who... ahem... according to Newton has a stronger gravitational pull than I do... :ph34r:

Al.

PMSL ..... :hysterical: ............... but young Andy is also a red top ............. that must count for a bit lot of extra bad temepered strength :D

Getting back on topic ................. you may have to make up your own bar ........... the last one I made was box section 75x75x5 and 2m long (its all I had to hand at the time). I welded a long impact socket (so as not to weaken the socket with heat) on one face. Pure bodily pulling strength was not sufficient.............. we ended up setting the box section about 18 inches off the ground and then jumped on it (I weigh in at 15st)............ the nut gave a loud crack and thankfully came undone .......... IIRC the nut was coarse thread and close on 40mm (1-1/2). This was a tractor axle and done as a favour for a local farm.

The joy of getting the job done was worth the loss of one socket.

best of luck

Ian