SerIII Suffix D Gearbox problem

Spannerking

Hi I am after some ideas and help with reference to a Suffix D Ser III gearbox.

The gearbox has been completely rebuild using new parts , (most OE) on fitting all forward gears work fine and synchronise perfectly . Reverse gear is my problem, it springs out when reversing over any longer distance. I have replaced the new detent spring with a stronger one but to no avail, it still springs out .You can fell the detent spring is working as it requirse some amout of effort to pull it out of the gear in standing.

Has anyone any ideas as to what my problem could be or directions in which to look

Any help is greatly appreciated .

Just one other thing this is not my first gearbox that i have rebuild and have not had any problems as yet.

Have you adjusted it? (Adjuster on back of box accessible from under middle seat)

Did you check its bearings for wear? Suffix D should have an unburstable reverse as LR strengthened the thing at least once during S3 production.

Sounds like one set of teeth deflects (ie due to slack in the bearings somewhere) and loads the thing endwards as it were.

It sounds to me like the reverse idler gear shaft has worn a taper and the tangental load on the gear is forcing it out of the engaged position. You did replace the correct spring, though, didn't you? It's not obvious - the reverse detent spring is the one on the right of the top cover, not the left. It should have the thickest of the springs, the left side plate and the brass plug having the two identical softer springs.

Thanks i have replaced the reverse detent spring and yes it was the one on the right ie the thicker spring, I am going to change the Reverse shaft and hopefully that will cure this problem,Got an oringinal one today so come the weekend i am ripping the box back out again

Hi on Saturday i ripped out the box and found that there was excessive load on the Layshaft, the bevelled washer at the the end was too thick replaced it with a slightly thinner one an now have appox 0.2-0.3 mm play. Also change the reverse shaft and idler with another OE part . Problem solved thanks for all your help.