sliding door tops

could do with a bit of help from folks using sliding door tops.

I'm having trouble with the locking mechanism on the passenger side door, namely that it doesn't lock.

i therefore took the lock out to try and see if i could fix it. I had previously 'fixed' it by adding a washer into the mechanism as so it lifted up higher when it locked and fixing it this time thought i'd increase the height it lifts to again.

the result of this was the part which lifts the lock came off inside the door....drill out, lock off again, washer and bolt added to make sure this is not possible anymore. all reassembled and it doesn't pop off.

but it still doesn't lock properly and its still possible to slide the front part of the window despite it being locked.

Normally i would attribute this to a carp land rover design, but my drivers door lock (which uses the earlier 110 wheel to lock rather than the military style knob) works perfectly.

i could just buy a new lock i think, craddocks list the parts as

MTC6304 WINDOW LOCK CONTROL KNOB EARLY 110. £1.82

RRC4879 WINDOW CATCH 110 LH 1983/4 ONLY. £ 5.32

i'm not sure if they're correct as they seem suspiciously cheap.

i do however wonder if the lock is the problem though. i presumed the locks worked by friction, but maybe that's not the case. perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.

thanks for your help

callum

The series one won't fit, there's one on ebay right now...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-MILITARY-...1QQcmdZViewItem

yup, that's the type i have on the passenger's side

not sure if the part no.s i posted correspond to that or not. the ebay one is either expensive or i've got the

he wrong part numbers.

anyone able to tell me what the dongle work around for microcat is? i have the version which was linked on here and rmembered to put the date back to november 2004, but i cat remember how to sort the dongle issue and am unable to find the original post with the link.

yup, that's the type i have on the passenger's side

not sure if the part no.s i posted correspond to that or not. the ebay one is either expensive or i've got the

he wrong part numbers.

anyone able to tell me what the dongle work around for microcat is? i have the version which was linked on here and rmembered to put the date back to november 2004, but i cat remember how to sort the dongle issue and am unable to find the original post with the link.

I think the first part number you list is just the plastic handle, but the second part number i think is the whole catch. a fiver for it is pretty good i reckon

evening,

i have the same door tops, with the same handles...and the same problem with the sliding windows, i.e being able to slide the windows open even in the locked position. you could fit the other type of window lock, but i found them to get in the way, as they are alot bigger.

my door tops have all new handles and have been reglazed and new felt fitted.

to stop the rear one from being forced open, simply drop a length of ally in the front channel, with a raised section, so you can put it in and out, (or fit the series lock ), but this still leaves the front sliding window, my series 3 109 safari has a sliding loch mechanism fitted on the rear windows, but then if you have the military glass fitted, its 4mm thick and reinforced, so cutting a series one down would be much use.

on the front slinding glass window there is a recessed black peice of plastic for sliding the window open and shut, maybe that recess could be used to hold the front one closed ?

its something i am still pondering myself, if i find a proper solution, i will post my ideas.

cheers...