300 tdi exhaust question.

freeagent

ive got a 1996 300Tdi disco, that is fitted with a catalytic converter, the front section of exhaust is a bit scabby, and will need replacing soon... in the quest for a bit more power, i'm going to scrap the cat and fit a non cat front pipe, ive already spoken to my MOT man and its a winner...

what i want to know is.... will Defender 300Tdi front pipe ESR 2297 fit in its place??? ive been reliably informed that it will, and i've got a new one in the garage that i held up underneath yeasterday and it looked good.... has anyone done this? it'll be result if it will as it'll save me buying the disco part.....

cheers

m@tt.

You can certainly fit the non cat Discovery pipe. It is available/suitable for all ages of Tdi Discovery as it was used right up to the last ones - my father has one built in July 1998 (production was supposed to stop on 30 June 98!) and his is a non cat non EGR model :)

Not sure whether it is the same fit as a Defender one though... there is a difference but it may be limited to the flexy section on the Discofairy version - and I never really understood why exactly the same engine needed a flexy bit in a Discovery but not in a Defender...

Not sure whether it is the same fit as a Defender one though... there is a difference but it may be limited to the flexy section on the Discofairy version - and I never really understood why exactly the same engine needed a flexy bit in a Discovery but not in a Defender...

Yes you can fit a Defender one.

The flexi' is to reduce the NVH (Noise/Vibration & Harshness) in the Discovery.

• 3 months later...

hi freeagent, did you fit the non cat downpipe? if so which one did you use, i've been looking around and the 300tdi one certainly seems to be more than 30 -40 quid. 49.50 + vat from famous 4, 59 +vat from paddocks, :( defender one is cheaper, cause of the lack of flexi bit probably, any real benefits to the flexi bit, anyone seen them cheaper? dd

hi freeagent, did you fit the non cat downpipe? if so which one did you use, i've been looking around and the 300tdi one certainly seems to be more than 30 -40 quid. 49.50 + vat from famous 4, 59 +vat from paddocks, :( defender one is cheaper, cause of the lack of flexi bit probably, any real benefits to the flexi bit, anyone seen them cheaper? dd

Have a read of this http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=10145