4.6 Rover V8 into Def 90

Hi all, I am currently planning to fit a Rover 4.6 v8 into my defender. Currently running a disco 300tdi mated to a disco r380 box and disco transfer box. My question is is this actually possible. Have come across a couple of threads suggesting that the gear ratios will be wrong. Another potential problem that was highlighted was that the engine will sit to far back however i have use the disco (long) bellhousing so think that the clearance issue wont be a problem. Any advice or help very much appreciated! Cheers Pete

Get a Defender r380 and have the main shaft changed to the v8 one, ifor got Ashcrofts to do mine and it was about £240 ish. Get a V8 bell housing and make it all fit! I did this conversion and its really not difficult, just bolt the engine to the gearbox in vehicle and weld the new mounts where they need to be, the v8 bell housing from a manual disco is quite long so the engine will actually sit quite far forward. As for gear ratios being wrong sounds like a load of tosh to me.

Or get Ashcrofts to build you a gearbox to spec that has the right bits in the right order.

Or use a V8 adapter plate.

Anyway, to answer the big question, yes it's doable, it's no different than any other Rover V8-swap (they are all basically the same lump) so the basic idea has been done a thousands of times.

Regardless of trouble, the V8 will always make you smile. Might be rubbish in water and cost a fortune to run but with tubular manifolds and straight through pipes you will love it, mine sounds NASCAR like, raw and unrefined yet powerful!!

Megasquirted, and then your water troubles will be solved :blink:

THanks for all your replys guys. Can i use a disco V8 R380 box. I dont mind about the selectors being in the "wrong" place as ive already overcome this problem with my current set-up. Just want to confirm it wont make the engine sit to far forward before i go and get on. Cheers, Pete

• 11 months later...

I am going to do this conversion into my 90 that is currently fitted with original 19J tdi and LT77 box . I know of two such conversions in my club (Rotorua Land Rover Enthusiast Club New Zealand) and both landies have aproached the install with different gear box ideas one uses disco Auto and the other uses the P38 gearbox with a compushift set up.

Is any one here able to reccomend best way to go as both have advantages Disco being simpler and cheaper whilst P38 slightly stronger but more expensive when factoring in compushift. I have a complete P38 sitting in my garage ready for the conversion so could use its gearbox but if I were to sell the gearbox I would be able to afford a disco gearbox.

I may also have access to a 4.2v8 with auto box from a Range Rover which a friend has been using for a few years so is known to be reliable so also toying with selling p38 and getting this pros/cons? Thanks G

I converted my 300Tdi to a 4.2 rover v8 three years ago, as I was 18 I couldn't afford to rebuild the gearbox so I instead purchased a new R380 v8 bell housing roughly £100 and all the Td5 clutch release assembly as its the same as the v8 variety. I had a V8 spigot bearing bored out from 3/4" to 7/8" to suit the tdi input shaft which worked a treat :D

If I was doing it again I would buy a gearbox rebuild kit and put a v8 input shaft in to keep things standard.

I ran it for 2 1/2 years like that with no problem and for 6 months had a turbocharger on for some more muscle circa. 280Bhp :D

I didn't drive it easy as any teen with a v8 would but I have since removed all of the v8 bits and fitted a 5.9L Cummins 6BTA.

Use the original gearbox mounts with a Discovery R380 or even LT77 V8 gearbox and bellhousing.

This will put your engine in the SAME position as the RRC and Discovery. (Or 90/110 come to that)

No clearance issues and no bulkhead cutting.

All you need then are the V8 chassis mounts, which you can cut off a scrap chassis OR but new ones from Designa Chassis. Or Richards if you must, but they are twice the price......................

Weld them on your chassis (I can give you measurements and photos) as I have an old chassis here.

All the rest is just standard RRC/Disco parts

Thanks for answers but I'm going the Auto route and have spoken to both guys in club they both used the ones out of their donor P38 one used compushift and the other cobbled something together by modifying the solenoids but he is interested in looking at Mega shift and pointing me in that direction as cheeper than compushift

so any one used mega shift/compushift that can report on the pros and cons of either systems?