Substitute driving light switch for TD5 center console

I am thinking of adding driving lights to my 2005 TD5, but the proper center console switches are ridiculously expensive. Is there any reason I couldn't use a rear fog lamp switch to trip the relay to the driving lights and put it in the blank spot opposite its twin and just mark them appropriately? Cheers, Matthew

I am thinking of adding driving lights to my 2005 TD5, but the proper center console switches are ridiculously expensive. Is there any reason I couldn't use a rear fog lamp switch to trip the relay to the driving lights and put it in the blank spot opposite its twin and just mark them appropriately? Cheers, Matthew

The rear foglamp switch won't work.

It's a momentary (non-latching) switch, that switches to earth.

The rear fog lamps are switched by an ECU that detects this momentary path to earth and then switches on the rear fog lamps (only if the headlamps are also 'on').

The switch that you're looking for is the Defender Puma Heated Seat Switch - YUF500150LNF

This is a latching live-switching switch, which costs around a fiver :D

http://www.rimmerbro...-i-YUF500150LNF

£4.17 ex VAT (£5.00 inc VAT)

YUF500150LNF.jpg

It uses the Black 5-way switch connector, which I sell on eBay -

http://www.ebay.co.u...nnectors/m.html

$(KGrHqR,!n8E63WLof76BPDKJkl)2g~~60_12.JPG

It should be wired, as follows -

Pin 1 - Live in from fused supply

Pin 2 - Live from dash illumination

Pin 3 - Not used (but is internally connected to Pin 5 - Earth)

Pin 4 - Switched live out to accessory

Pin 5 - Earth

You can swap the 'Heated Seat' switch cap for one from another switch, including the rear fog lamps switch.

Thanks for this. I am away from my TD5 right now, so a couple of questions...

1. Will this switch fit and look right in the top left spot in place of the blank?

2. Since I don't have any extra switch caps, is there a neat way to remove the icon and relabel the switch or a source for the right cap or a blank one?

Thanks!

Thanks for this. I am away from my TD5 right now, so a couple of questions...

1. Will this switch fit and look right in the top left spot in place of the blank?

2. Since I don't have any extra switch caps, is there a neat way to remove the icon and relabel the switch or a source for the right cap or a blank one?

Thanks!

1. Yes it will - but, you'll have to trim-off the moulded keyway at the back of the switch body (top right in the picture above).

2. You can use the cap off of the switch blank, but you will need to drill a 2.5mm hole for the tell-tale warning light's 'lense'

Have a look at this - http://www.lro.com/f...=385823#p385823

The switch caps are made from translucent white plastic, which has been sprayed black or Ash Grey, with the symbol masked-out, so that when back-lit, the symbol illuminates.

If you're good with a Dremel, you can engrave your own symbol in the blank, like the home-made cruise control switch, here -

http://www.lro.com/f...hp?f=18&t=58151

Or you could use a stick-on symbol, like these from VWP, or MUDSTUFF -

sym.jpg

legendneg.jpg

The MUDSTUFF symbols are clear on black, so if you polished away a small area of the paint finish on the blank switch cap (under where the symbol is going to be stuck), the symbol will illuminate with the dash lights.

Although they haven't pictured the sheet, MUDSTUFF also do a White on Clear sheet, which could be used on a blank switch cap , without any polishing away of it's paint finish.

Of course, this wouldn't illuminate with the dash lights.

• 3 years later...