Zeus Power Steering Seals

JeffR

Well, children not only was I barking up the wrong tree, I was p!ssing into the wind, flogging a herd of dead horses, whilst herding flocks of cats and ferrets., that is a weekend of my life I will never get back. Oh and I've still got p!ss poor steering to boot.

Zeus seals really do the job, however they are a first class tw@t to fit. Useful bit of info for anyone contemplating them, find a bit of 1 7/8 exhaust pipe to use as a drift, oh and either a 4 post lift or a pit cos swinging a 4lb lump hammer lying flat on your back with less than 8 inches of swing gets very old very quickly.

Oh and before you go at it mob handed, make sure the bloody box don't have any other serious problems such as roughness (well that explains the vague steering) or sticking at the straight ahead position (well that explains an awful lot of things ).

Remember also that fixing the leaky bottom seal will simply move the problem to the next weak point in the system, for example the input seals will exit stage left as soon as you fire up the engine to test the super dooper, all singing, all bloody dancing out put seal you've spent 10 hours fitting...

Then one thinks , lets see if we can adjust the slop out of the box, well that's non starter:

1. first of all you will find the adjusting lock nut is seized more solid than than most people can weld, so 4 hours of teaching the children fluent anglo saxon later one gets the bugger un-seized ,

2. only to find that screwing the adjusting socket head has absolutely bugger all effect on the slop in the box.

3. Retire to pub and try to work out just where on can get a power steering box at 4.30 on a Sunday afternoon.

4. vow to buy a proper car in the not too distant future.

Get up at stupid o'clock on Monday morning, cancel MOT booked for Tuesday and order recon box. Sit back and wait for courier to arrive sometime this week (express delivery is generally , a figment of ones imagination) then try to explain to SWMBO that we are gonna be without a functional, legal, vehicle for a few days; "but you've got three bloody land rovers and a mini, and you are trying to tell me not one of them is roadworthy?" Bloody women got no sense of humour.

Oh and power steering fluid is not easy to wash out of your hair, beard and skin. It hurts more than tooth ache when it gets in your eyes as well. It is a pretty pink colour though.

Far better to bite the bullet and order a bloody recon box in advance. Honest, you won't regret it.

Never had a problem with a recon box to be frank. And when you are looking at the best part of £450 as opposed to less than half that amount..........

£289 with the VAT direct from Adwest in Reading. Delivery extra or collect in person. Warranty = 2 years.

Very good price and for OEM :i-m_so_happy:

They are a bit less than the £450 although it will probably depend on type. Just seems to be a lot of people complaining about recon's on here, although people are of course more likely to post when things are bad than when they are ok.

I also went down the direct from adwest route and the box i got was a brand new one as they don't do recon's anymore-you can have it with a drop arm with a ball joint or as i did with a straight one as per the conversion to disco drop arm years ago

HTH

John

I guess re-manufactured is a bit more full on.

when I bought mine a few years ago, the bloke there said that they now only sell new ones. Perhaps it's changed.

Originally I'd bought a box from National Power Steering.

what a heap of cack. It was far worse than the original one. The woman on the phone is very pleasant, so sent out another.

This was fine for the few months that it lasted. Another was sent and again, this was fine, until the warranty run out, and then they didn't want to know.

So, rather than squander further cash on what should be on the scrap pile, I went for an Adwest. Been in there proably 3 or 4 years now and no problems whatsoever to date.

Now that is interesting considering what Adwest has been telling people when they phoned up, or is it an outdated web page?

Dont get me wrong - thats still where i'd go to buy a box, but their site says remanufactured (different to re-con), they say new on the phone.... just be nice to know whats what.

Well, so much for Paddocks "Express Delivery", still waiting for the tracking email and the call back "it was dispatched from our suppliers yesterday" to let me know when I can expect it. Cannot for the love of me understand poor customer service, do any of these big suppliers know how to run a business?

Before I get folks yelling at me saying "lots of orders" etc, I paid extra for express delivery....

Don't get me started about Paddocks...

Just come off the blower from them too.'Poor customer service' is a bit polite I think....

+1, and bad shipping to boot.

I am in the market for a LHD steering box from Adwest but as it works out it will be more than 550Euro by the time it gets here!!!

good price or not?

Check with britishcarparts.be, he should be able to give you a good price on a new box.

Well, box arrived, still no return call from Paddocks, but what the hell, box is installed (much easier on the disco than the defender). Just got to do some welding, replace brake pipes, nip up a rear wheel bearing, replace shock and spring and the old girl should be ready for the MOT...........

Bloody hope so, gotta get the damn thing thro a test in the morning so I can pick eldest girl up from college tomorrow evening...... The phrase "shove a broomshank up my ar$e, and I'll sweep the floor as I go around" springs to mind.

At times like this I would happily sell the children for a garage in which the Landovers fit, and to top it all , me 38 year old parakeet just snuffed it (the first person to quote Monty Python dies!), so gotta find somewhere in the garden to bury her.

Da Da Da Da Da Da, now waiting for a new pair if brake discs cos the old ones 9when inspected in daylight, have radial surface cracks, oh and one of the bloody calipers is seized, and of course, the calliper is the twin pipe bugger that no one locally keeps in stock and I smashed me thumb up (Note to oneself, when removing a coil spring, make sure there is NO compression before putting ones hand in to pull it out).

Beginning to get the feeling that this car don't want to go thro an MOT.

Bugger is fighting me at every chance it gets.

Wot no pictures? Good luck with the rot removal

See post in Discovery forum, made some progress, managed to get one quarter panel off, bought new crossmember and various other bits, but had a day off today cos it is urinating down and I've lost the will to live....

But to cheer you up, some photos of nearside rot, offside just as bad, but the boot floor is solid. Mind you the crossmember could double as a very good lace curtain....

OH BUGGER

post-25095-0-28753900-1351698564_thumb.jpg

OH DOUBLE BUGGER

post-25095-0-82453800-1351698608_thumb.jpg

EXPLETIVE DELETED

post-25095-0-43854500-1351698637_thumb.jpg