Steering box had it??

reb78

My steering box in the 110 is a 6 bolt Gemmer unit. I've been considering replacing it for a while but just wanted to check there was nothing else i could do with it.

This weekend, i had a long motorway run and noticed that at the straight ahead position you could rock the steering wheel, about half an inch at the rim, without any response at the roadwheels. You could feel it loosely rocking from side to side until it would reach a point where the wheels would react. Checking it out later, there was no response at the drop arm when the wheel was rocked.

I went to adjust the play via the torx/allen nut on the top of the box and found that even if it was adjusted so that i couldnt tighted the nut any further, the play was still there. However, return to centre had dissappeared completely yet there were no tight/binding spots from lock to lock. DO you all agree that its new box time and there is no other adjustment left? The box has done 180k easy miles.

Steering column UJs, drop arm ball joint, all three TREs and steering damper are new. Swivels are correctly adjusted (perhaps a little tight as they were new, so i went slightly high in the preload), tyre pressures and alignment are correct, so the box is the only thing left that could have play in it!

Thanks Ralph. I think adwest sell the boxes with the appropriate arm. I will check with them next week. Its pretty horrible to drive at the moment because the play is at straight ahead, so will get this done asap and use the D2 in the meantime.

Thanks for the link Pete. I've decided to go down the new route and have just ordered one from Adwest today. £289 for a brand new box including drop arm and ball joint. (not a bad price for new OEM i thought).

I'd decided not to change to the disco system as i havent had many problems with the normal setup myself.

new steering boxes's are amazing, i have zero slack in the 90's steering, makes it a joy to drive, its cool as even a slight wiggle on the steering is transmitted to the wheels! - you wont be disapointed :D

Hope so!! It used to be great and i wondered what folks were talking about with defenders being wandery old things. The last year or so though, i;ve replaced a lot of parts and the play has just got worse. This is the last thing to replace, so i hope its back to its old self again. Should arrive on Wednesday - i might even take Friday off to fit it so that i can use it at the weekend. :)

How long do they take to swap over? I'm hoping its not going to be a massive job (thats gone and done it!)

How long do they take to swap over? I'm hoping its not going to be a massive job (thats gone and done it!)

It's not too bad a job tbh, biggest problem I had was getting the pipes reconnected. The problem I had was lining the threaded part on the metal pipe lined up with the steering box to get it to thread in properly. Other than that it's pretty easy. I imagine you know the box is pretty heavy.

Well I did mine in an evening (if memory serves it was a late one), a bit messy with oil leaking everywhere... depends on how easy all the bolts come loose etc. i remeber it being a total ball ache to loosen and tighten the pipework into it... i think i eneded up going through the driverside front headlamp hole...

beat me to it rabbit - but as CW says, alighnment of the PAS pipes can be difficult too...

Edited by Maverik

New box arrived today. Looks the business, just got to fit it now! I forgot to check earlier - are the brackets all a straight swap from the 6 bolt to the 4 bolt? (i dont want to get the old one off to find that i need different brackets etc...

The other thing that amazed me is the markup other companies put on these boxes - they are on ebay for ~£440 - thats £70 more than i paid from the OE manufacturer!

It was £289.28 plus £30 delivery. So, £319.28 all in

This one is £342 + £8.50 postage, so £350.50 all in (so £70 difference was an exaggeration, but still a good saving)

The others on ebay seem of more dubious origin or reconditioned and i wasnt willing to take a chance with this.

New box arrived today. Looks the business, just got to fit it now! I forgot to check earlier - are the brackets all a straight swap from the 6 bolt to the 4 bolt? (i dont want to get the old one off to find that i need different brackets etc...

The other thing that amazed me is the markup other companies put on these boxes - they are on ebay for ~£440 - thats £70 more than i paid from the OE manufacturer!

I didn't change anything else other than the steering box & drop arm.