Bearmach Rad

reb78

Anyone know where i can get a bearmach one from, as my local 4x4 place only sells allmakes :( or another good make thats all metal, i dont fancy a ali and plastic tank one cheers

Mail order 4x4 are good for supplying Bearmach parts, I've used them a few times and a friend has had Bearmach td rad from them and had no problems with it.

200tdi

http://www.mailorder4x4.com/4x4/products_detail.php?ProductID=9927

300tdi

http://www.mailorder4x4.com/4x4/products_list.php?Category=Defender/Defender%20110/Cooling/Radiators/All%202.5L%20300%20TDi%20diesel%20engine%20models&ProductName=Radiator%20and%20Oil%20Cooler,%20Std%20material,%20not%20incl%20intercooler,%20All%202.5L%20300%20TDi%20diesel%20engine%20models

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

I thought i would update this regarding the uprated 200tdi rad from M&D Engineering.

It ended up costing a bit more than their off the shelf 300tdi version (according to their website, that is £175). This 200tdi rad ended up costing me £258.

It is good quality though. It holds ~1.5 - 2 litres more than the original rad, and is also thicker. Total deepth takes up the whole of the depth of the original frame/core.

Here are some pics:

post-12362-0-51506700-1358496462_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-86768500-1358496479_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-76357500-1358496498_thumb.jpg

post-12362-0-16223500-1358496515_thumb.jpg

I think that looking at it, the rows of the core are staggered so that rather than two rows looking like this ======

as they run across the depth, they look more like this _- _-

For Bearmach parts, just contact one of the Bearmach Shops. I use the Kent Shop (01622 717525). You might as well go to the horses mount (so to speak) rather than a reseller who are just going to order it from them then send it to you.

Mostly, they are prepared to haggle a bit - but can tell you immediately whether they or Bearmach central stores have stock and when you will get it with no bull****!

They have proven very reliable in the past. They have been happy to discuss the relative quality of Patterned / OEM / Genuine based on their experience - and I've been pleased with the results.

Si

Would you say the fins on the uprated core are thicker than standard ones? Would they withstand a pressure washer?

I think they are a little thicker - but then i am comparing the old brittle ones to these new ones. If you battered it close up at an angle, i doubt they would cope, but straight on and careful and i reckon they would. It is a Caterpillar core i think, so designed for diggers and the like which i expect might get some occasional abuse!

I think they are a little thicker - but then i am comparing the old brittle ones to these new ones. If you battered it close up at an angle, i doubt they would cope, but straight on and careful and i reckon they would. It is a Caterpillar core i think, so designed for diggers and the like which i expect might get some occasional abuse!

Cheers :) I like the sound of that

Cheers :) I like the sound of that

The other thing is that the cooling fins run from top to bottom as one strip, and the cooling rows run through them. That is different to the original design where there is a strip of a fin folded/concertinered and glued between two of the cooling rows. If you look at the third pic, i think that comes across. Effectivley, the rows offer more support to the fins than the original design.

Bearmach have advertised for years normally on the back page of LRO. They have been in business for many years and have developed many items for Land Rovers. I'm lucky they are just down the road from me now. The counter staff have always been very helpful and often they have some good bargains in their shop, shop soiled or slightly damaged have never had a problem with any of their own brand items.

• 2 years later...

Just felt would update this thread. This M&D rad has failed after 2.5 years.

Pics here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=95360

M&Ds response was that their warranty is 12 months so pretty much tough luck. It's leaking from a tiny hole along the solder that holds the side tank onto the core - a place where I would not expect a rad to fail unless there was a manufacturing defect. So really it was a bit of a waste of money.

I have since had a spare old rad recored by a local place to me (he did it in about four hours for me) and having refitted that, I can also say that there appears to be no difference in the temp gauge position on my mildly tweaked 200tdi. This is with the standard gauge, but suggests that the M&D 'uprated' rad has little advantage over one with a standard core (which will also hopefully last longer).

The rad shouldnt affect the temp thats controlled by the thermostat , the rad will only show its potential when the heat generated by the engine and the ambient temp are approaching each other , and heat transfer is at its most demanding , eg climbing a steep hill at max power in high ambient . Making a deduction on the performance or otherwise of the M&D rad as stated above is probably a little premature, and may be a little bit coloured by your feeling of disappointment in the longevity experienced . I have no connection with any rad manufacturers , M&D or otherwise, but have recored, and serviced rads in Australia , where some extremes are more frequent . JMHO

Fair enough. It's a good point. I suppose, perhaps I simply had no need for extra cooling. I've done a bit in the two weeks since fitting the rad with the standard core, some of it demanding, but noticed no difference.

Bigger issue for me is, as you say, my disappointment at its short lifespan.