300tdi average temp up by a quarter.

Hi guys.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening? As the title says, the average running temp has gone up by about a quarter so now when warmed up it's sitting at the 3/4 mark.

It happened after a mate borrowed it for some pretty heavy towing. He's used to a N/A transit, so I think he over-revved it. It might be me, but it also seems down on power.

I've checked oil levels, play on the turbo shaft etc, but no clues that I can see.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jake

(Optimistically) Is the viscous coupling Ok? Or maybe just a sticking thermostat? You'd struggle to over rev a 300tdi except by getting the load to push it down a steep hill in a gear low enough to over rev yet high enough to get enough speed up. Then again if it had it might have jumped a tooth on the timing belt.

I heard the thing revving as he left, and it made my teeth grind, well beyond anything I'd ever subject a tdi to. I don't know how rev limiting in works on these (I'm better at v8s, but I'm guessing it's the pump that limits it. It still sounded way higher than say my old lt35 on it's rev limiter) but it sounded a damn sight higher than I'd be comfortable pushing it to. It was at the other end of this journey that the gauge started reading high. It remains at a constant 3/4 of the gauge when warm, even when towing quite hard, or idling in the snow

It might I suppose be the thermostat, but I think that that's fairly new. Not a biggie to check, and a quick fix if it is.

How would I check the timing easily? Again, diesels aren't my natural environment, although I'm learning fairly rapidly.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Jake

Also, this thing was built by someone lacking in most of the prerequisites for building a Landy, in his shed. It's a 100" thing that reads like the LRO list of "most fashionable mods for your Landy" done on a limited budget with not much technical aptitude. It is possible that he's tweaked the pump (reading a bit suggests you can shim a spring, or replace it with a stronger one, which will lift the rev limit) so maybe I'll look and check.

take the thermostat out and put it in hot water and see if its opening proprly.

would the temp guage go to 3/4 just idling???

300tdis are a pretty cold running engine, however, is the fan working correctly, it could be this coupled to a blocked radiator.

if all this checks out, then i would be leading towards a failed/failing head gasket

How would I check the timing easily?
you can use 9.5 drill bit for pump antd there is a mark on crank pulley and case (12 oclock )when fitted ,and engine turned over twice marks rechecked and tension redone ,fit progressively smaller drill bits in pump slot and with 3 securing bolts slackened turn pump nut 22m clockwise against drill bit then retighten 3 bolts run engine ,keep going using smaller bits ie 9.5 -9-8.5 -8 etc till engine starts to get diesel knock then go back one thicker drill bit till knock has gone ,pump timing just before knock is optimum timing point and doesnt allways coincide with std pin