New truck steering help needed mega light......

Hi People... in the famous words of britney spears... "ups I did it again"

H reg 1991, Defender 110 CSW, with power steering. (running standard size BF mud terrain tyres)

I've just taken delivery of a rather special 110 and its got a wierd problem I've not encountered before...

The steering is frighteningly light, I've not had chance to get under it yet as I'm in transit, but at a loss as to what the problem is...

Not got access to any manuals etc. can somone tell me what length the track rod should be, to rule out bad wheel alignment... next thing wqould be looking at the steering damper.

When driving there is absolutly no resistance in the steering...

Any thoughts?

Mav

One thing that comes to mind, is it origional engine?.

Only ask as the P38 (and Disco2?) run a higher pressure power steering pump, I think about 1500psi rather than 1100psi max, this would give the problems you describe.

If the truck is V8 then the engine could have a pump from one of these vehicles on it.

Only other idea would be excessive camber, not likely as this would require either a big lift or a bent axle either of which should be pretty obvious.

I assume you have already checked the tyre pressures.......

Surely that pressure is a maximum though?

Ie under normal steering, when driving along, the box shouldnt be seeing anywhere near the maximum pressure, and thus the fact that the pump can deliver a higher max shouldnt matter?

Well I'm nearly home, getting used to the steering but its not right, I wonder if its a few problems ie swivel pre load too, I noticed it was a 6 bolt steering box no major leaks or anything, if the pump was over pressurising I would have thought there would be a leak or two somewhere on the system it being fairly old. First thing I'll look at is the damper arrangement.then move on too more exotic theories

.post-20087-0-92150900-1366531824_thumb.jpg

:D the Disco is a little poorly :(, got some orrible tin worm, so she wont be back on the road till end of summer now, then maybe somone else will get a chance to own her, not decided yet.

In the meantime I've got this wee beast to slowly start straightening out.

This power steering thing is really wierd.

The PAS box is load sensitive, there are two parts to the input shaft/valve assembly, these are linked by a torsion bar.

It's the relative difference in movement between the two parts that governs the ammount of assistance.

When you turn the steering when stationary, in ruts, parking etc, and there is high resistance from the wheels being turned, this causes the torsion bar to twist, this allows the ports in the valve to open fully and provide maximum power assistance.

As resistance decreases the torsion bar twists less and the ports don't open as far, thereby reducing power assistance.

If the torsion bar or its locating pin break you get maximum assistance instantly at all speeds, very scary on the road.

It's possible to "modify" the box to achieve this.

If this is your problem it's probably new box time.

The PAS box is load sensitive, there are two parts to the input shaft/valve assembly, these are linked by a torsion bar.

It's the relative difference in movement between the two parts that governs the ammount of assistance.

When you turn the steering when stationary, in ruts, parking etc, and there is high resistance from the wheels being turned, this causes the torsion bar to twist, this allows the ports in the valve to open fully and provide maximum power assistance.

As resistance decreases the torsion bar twists less and the ports don't open as far, thereby reducing power assistance.

If the torsion bar or its locating pin break you get maximum assistance instantly at all speeds, very scary on the road.

I think you may be on the money there young man...

You sound like a man in the know, this is a 6 bolt Gemmer box, I can;t find any exploded diagrams of that one so not entirly sure of its internals, but is that the same control set-up at the 4 bolt?