Mercedes om606 engine

I've spent a long time looking for the "perfect" engine for an offroader.

Simple mechanical diesels cope the best with the appalling conditions we ask our cars to live in, but the usual suspects cannot produce enough power over a wide enough rev range and more importantly they aren't flexible enough

I really like the appeal of petrol power but I hate the over dependence on electronics.

I bought an Isuzu 4bd1t, these have all the reliability we'd ever need and are capable of respectable power, but they only rev to 3600rpm so I don't think it would be flexible enough.

Which lead me to explore other options this is where the Mercedes om606 comes in,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM606_engine

They use an edc Bosch P pump, that can be swapped straight out for a fully mechanical P pump,

So no wires, no sensors. Only a pull to stop cable and with the right pump and turbo an easy 400+hp is achievable.

The factory governor is set at 5200rpm and they pick up revs very quickly.

And I've just bought a complete E300td off eBay for £360, to have a play with and see what can be done.

Here's an interesting bit of inspiration........

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Cl2oRWroE10&feature=player_embedded&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCl2oRWroE10%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded

• Like 1

That's the one, its a Nissan patrol on Volvo's with 42" pit bull rockers. He's mated the 606 up to the patrol gearbox.

I think i'm going to use a merc 6 speed manual and a divorced lt230

I'm going to have a go at using a Bosch Ve off a 6bt on it.

wow, is easily spins those 42" tires..

after a quick google, the 606 is happy running 2.5/3.0BAR and over 6000RPM. :o coupled with a Holset HE351Ve VNT, some serious HP can be achieved!

if you havnt already found this, look here for some good info/tuning options. http://www.superturbodiesel.com

what ever your plan is, please keep this updated as this will be fascinating. :i-m_so_happy:

Hmm.. Suppose its probably one of the best engines if you have to run the Devils Fuel :P

Seriously looks good, interesting to see how you'r gonna fair with connecting it to the LT230, 6 speed would sure be nice offroad giving you an extra ratio for some climbs could prove very valuable.

Merc has always been able to make some really revvy diesels, its quite amazing really, though there seems to be two huge disadvantages (only based on my poor knowledge from fixing a few up for sale when I was an apprentice) First up low down grunt isn't good, and it easily stalls when dropping the clutch. And secondly somehow the injection pump they use doesn't seem to be happy holding a constant RPM, ie. you put the throttle, say 1/3 down, to charge the battery or whatever, but the revs just keep rising, you can't hold it at your desired RPM.

I do not know, however, if these were om606, but one of them was a twincam thingy.

Full mechanical engine and 400HP sounds good!

I think i'm going to use a merc 6 speed manual and a divorced lt230

That´s one of my dreams. If you use a six speed out of a 4x2/4x4 rig with centered rear output, you will have a second low-box, that you could use as a "crawler box".

This what £360 got me, it starts and drives. Idle is a little choppy (I suspect it has had a secondhand pump fitted) I think the FIP timing is slightly out,

The rest of the car has no redeeming features, other than its scrap weight of course.

http://s238.photobucket.com/user/Gmogger/media/2013-04-24_17-54-15_826_zpsc32dfc47.jpg.html'>2013-04-24_17-54-15_826_zpsc32dfc47.jpg

http://s238.photobucket.com/user/Gmogger/media/2013-04-24_17-54-40_354_zpse21737ae.jpg.html'>2013-04-24_17-54-40_354_zpse21737ae.jpg

That looks really nice as an option, though I truly don't understand your dislike of electronics. If you switch back to a clockwork-and-string injection-setup you lose both the 'adaptive' features and the ability of the engine to actually tell you - historically - what issues it's been having recently.

One of my clients has, for the last 15 years, run a fleet of Mercedes "Sprinter" vans, which are driven full-bore on night-time courier runs - if one does less than 500 miles in a day it's seen as not pulling its weight. The ability to query their computers and so be forewarned of any underlying engine-issues has spectacularly reduced their overall fleet downtime.

That looks really nice as an option, though I truly don't understand your dislike of electronics. If you switch back to a clockwork-and-string injection-setup you lose both the 'adaptive' features and the ability of the engine to actually tell you - historically - what issues it's been having recently.

One of my clients has, for the last 15 years, run a fleet of Mercedes "Sprinter" vans, which are driven full-bore on night-time courier runs - if one does less than 500 miles in a day it's seen as not pulling its weight. The ability to query their computers and so be forewarned of any underlying engine-issues has spectacularly reduced their overall fleet downtime.

I agree with this. However, the difficulties with electronics are the included security features that come with more modern engines. There's much to be said for a simple FIP that will inject fuel when the engine is spun over.

There was someone who developed an Arduino sketch that ran an electronic version of the OM606. I'm sure a google search will turn it up.

Edit: Found it: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,112884.0.html

An amazing amount of stuff for 360 Huh? really impressive, how much 200TDI do you get for those money? :D

Wait until I've processed the rest of the car for an actual cost!

I was a little disappointed to pay as much as I did I've missed a few on eBay that sold for less than £250.

The actual electronics and associated diagnostics hold no fear for me, I just firmly believe they have no place on a car that I expect to happily run on its side neck deep in mud hole.

In my opinion the electronics that are commonplace on a modern diesel engine do not make the engine run any better, the only reason they are there is to vastly improve emissions and fuel economy,

I am more than happy to trade a bit of black smoke and using another gallon or so of fuel over a weekend for no electronics or there associated fragility

Hi Dan

I am on to, BIG SMILEY, I have for the last week googled a lot on the OM606, strange isnt it......

I do not know of any other way to get that much power at that price..

I will go for a ZF gearbox from an Iveco they can cope with the NM's and if one chose the right one you will have a granny first and couple it to a LT230 in some way, the beaty about the ZF's in the serie that I am looking at is that they are cable operated so one can get the gear lever right where you want it.

Ole.

Hi DanI am on to, BIG SMILEY, I have for the last week googled a lot on the OM606, strange isnt it......I do not know of any other way to get that much power at that price..I will go for a ZF gearbox from an Iveco they can cope with the NM's and if one chose the right one you will have a granny first and couple it to a LT230 in some way, the beaty about the ZF's in the serie that I am looking at is that they are cable operated so one can get the gear lever right where you want it.Ole.

My apprentice bought one about 8 months ago, we've manual pump converted it and are busy mid mounting it in an e30 BMW as a drift-daily. I am quite impressed with the lump so i've been watching eBay for about 6 months for a cheap local car.

The merc 6 speeds are super short, and the Vito and some sprinters come with cable gear selectors.

thats after you sell the personalized plates!. :)

Plate is worthless, no mot=no transfer

Engine comes out tomorrow night, weighing the shell sat morning, the only thing worth putting any effort into, is stripping the tyres off and weighing the alloy wheels in separately.

That sounds great! I love the sound of straight 6s.

How long is the engine Dan? How does it compare to the length of a tdi?

It is longer but there's not a lot in it Ross, when I pull it out I'll post some dimensioned pics

I'd like to buy a set of hanging scales so I can do some weights as well

Something like this but about £50 would do me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370623360100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Just bought a 500kg scale, be interesting to post some definitive weights up for components.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-500Kg-0-5-Ton-Industrial-Electronic-Hanging-LCD-Crane-Scale-833137-/271123015652?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3f2030e7e4

I've been doing my research.... im going to bin the whole idea of squirting my v8 because nothing beats a turbo diesel.

Infact... i should be able to have more power and reliability from a om606 with 603 pump than a squirted v8.

What was a thinking, petrol is for girls and lawnmowers.

Dan, please hurry up with this, so i can learn from your mistakes!

Questions, how heavy is a full dressed om606?

I've seen videos on youtuube of buggys with 606's and hydraulic steering so clearly there are ways of mounting hydraulic pumps.

This makes me excited in my pants.

Excellent idea Chris, i'll try and stay ahead of you I do have one or two other things to be getting on with though!

Got the engine ripped out tonight.

2013-04-25_21-03-33_974_zps8993e773.jpg

It measures 25" tall, 31" long Inc viscous fan and 25 wide with all ancillaries. My scales should arrive on Monday so I'll keep it fully dressed until then

http://s238.photobucket.com/user/Gmogger/media/2013-04-25_22-21-31_927_zps97d1f09e.jpg.html]2013-04-25_22-21-31_927_zps97d1f09e.jpg[/url]

http://s238.photobucket.com/user/Gmogger/media/2013-04-25_22-21-38_577_zpse90bd60c.jpg.html]2013-04-25_22-21-38_577_zpse90bd60c.jpg[/url]

http://s238.photobucket.com/user/Gmogger/media/2013-04-25_22-21-48_334_zps2c1f5388.jpg.html]2013-04-25_22-21-48_334_zps2c1f5388.jpg[/url]

what is this engine like at low rpm? I only see redline stuff, but what about crawling?

Daan

I think they will easily out torque a tdi, more cubes and they're a straight six.

With a vgt and some fuel, just off idle torque will be higher than peak torque from a tdi.

Most of the dyno graphs that I can find don't start low enough in the revs, but there aren't many that are recording less than 300nm@2000rpm at the wheels.