Engine and Component weights

I've spit this out of the 606 thread.

I hope to build up a library of accurate weights for our commonly used components, when we have a decent amout of contributions i'll edit it into a sticky.

First up mercedes om606 the wieght is as it came out of the car fully dressed full of oil

2013-04-26_18-39-52_604_zps9e74f582.jpg

That is fully dressed, as it came out of the car.

• Like 1

I think a 300tdi is around 200kg

Not a chance!!!! My guess is around 300kg, I can only just lift a bare block!

I think a turnkey v8 will be close to 200kg

I will be doing some weighing over the weekend.

I'll post up some weights in a new thread

As in the other thread, the International manual puts the weight of the HS2.5 (same as 300tdi) at 205kg. It doesn't mention if that's dressed or bare, but it increases 3kg for the 2.8, which has the big turbo, so I presume dressed.

Not a chance!!!! My guess is around 300kg, I can only just lift a bare block!

I think a turnkey v8 will be close to 200kg

I will be doing some weighing over the weekend.

I'll post up some weights in a new thread

Re TDI weight. I wieghed a 200 TDI at 210KG and a M57 at 205 Kg with a load cell. Not sure if that load cell is a calibrated one, but either way a M57 and TDI are the same weight with the ancilaries give or take 10 KG.

Adrian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

'Dry weight' 170Kg for the 3.5, the later blocks heavier due to the extra reinforcing, so 177Kg, here's some stats:

These are the true weights of a late disco 4 litre engine, compliant with all the modern emissions and refinement criteria.

Accessory Drive Belt - (1) 0.341kg
Air Cleaner Body 0.977kg
Air Cleaner Element 0.299kg
Air Cleaner Top 0.467kg
Air Flow Meter 0.226kg
Air Hose/Duct - (1) 0.325kg
Alternator 7.196kg
Engine Complete 177.000kg
Engine Management - E.C.U. 0.390kg
Starter Motor 4.060kg
Viscous Coupling 2.942kg
Engine Oil 5.676kg

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=360605&hw=+%2BRover+%2BV8+%2BMarquis+%2BRex

So around 220Kgs... Knew I was someone around the right mark anyways :)

200TDI fully dressed, 270Kg: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=22250 (with additional sources)

......200TDI fully dressed, 270Kg: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=22250 (with additional sources)

There is debate in that thread about 200tdi weight, the 270kg is taken from a guide for retrofitting the 200tdi in place of a TD, at least one person reckons the 270KG relates to the TD not the TDI.

I'm interested to see what DD's scales say for a TDI (fairly certain he has a built up TDI sitting around as it was mentioned in another thread)

There is debate in that thread about 200tdi weight, the 270kg is taken from a guide for retrofitting the 200tdi in place of a TD, at least one person reckons the 270KG relates to the TD not the TDI.

I'm interested to see what DD's scales say for a TDI (fairly certain he has a built up TDI sitting around as it was mentioned in another thread)

I will finish building up the 300tdi for the volvo and weigh it tomorrow,

the other things i have to weigh are a LT95-101 gearbox, LT85 and lt230, and i have an lt230 on its own. somewhere a have a 200tdi long engine as well

Spent this morning weighing things

I found a nearly complete 300tdi and balenced its missing components on top of it, the only things missing were a few bolts, pipes and the charcoal canister out of the rocker cover.

It weighed 259kg!!!

next up was a complete LT95 short bellhousing 101 type, 116kg

then a LT85 with 1.22 LT230, complete except for all handbrake components 111kg

zfhp22 for 300tdi with 1.22 LT230 totally complete 134kg

1.22 LT230 with selectors but no handbrake components 52kg

Complete squirted 4.0 v8 non x-bolted, v belt front end, thor top end totally complete 174kg

lastly was a 3.9tdi isuzu 4bd1t totally complete inc adapter plate 341kg

I measured the 300 in bits at 275, but probably not the most accurate measurement. They are a bit heavy.

It would also be good to know the weight of landrover axles and toyota, volvo, mog, basically all the popular choices.

Dan measuring weight of components, who would have thought that! what has happened in recent years? :i-m_so_happy:

Daan

Spent this morning weighing things

lastly was a 3.9tdi isuzu 4bd1t totally complete inc adapter plate 341kg

Heavier than I expected

1.22 LT230 with selectors but no handbrake components 52kg

Lighter than I expected

What a great load of useful info, but what's with the weight of the V8? How come you measure it at 174kgs but other sources say 220kgs? quite a difference!

I've even heard rumors that an LS1 should be lighter than an RV8, but I don't suppose anyone has an LS1 kicking about? :P

Mr Warne has an LS1 in the workshop with most of a car round it :)

You can weigh vapour???????

Sorry will couldn't resist! Hope the build is going in the right direction.

Interesting to see the weight of the zu that could really **** up a trucks drivability I bet.

Following the Om with interest .

I measured the 300 in bits at 275, but probably not the most accurate measurement. They are a bit heavy.

It would also be good to know the weight of landrover axles and toyota, volvo, mog, basically all the popular choices.

Dan measuring weight of components, who would have thought that! what has happened in recent years? :i-m_so_happy:

Daan

I know i think there must be someting wrong with me! I just felt there was too many question marks surrounding component weights to make an informed choice

I am going to measure some tlc 80 axles, y60 patrol and I have nearly enough unimog components to make an axle, i don't however have any rover axles.

What a great load of useful info, but what's with the weight of the V8? How come you measure it at 174kgs but other sources say 220kgs? quite a difference!

I've even heard rumors that an LS1 should be lighter than an RV8, but I don't suppose anyone has an LS1 kicking about? :P

Turnkey supply in the states puts a complete ready to run LS1 at 202kg

Interesting to see the weight of the zu that could really **** up a trucks drivability I bet.

Remember that is the big Isuzu, I'm pretty certain the 2.8 is lighter than a tdi. I will measure the 2.8 out of the jeep when I tear it down for paint.

I would actually say I way most surprised at the weight of the rover v8 and 101 box, they could make quite a good combo under 300kg for the pair!

If anyone has anything that would make a good addition to this thread I would be happy to post my scales to you for you to weigh it.

I would be very interested in the weight of are c303 Volvo axles, std rover axles, fully built and armoured rover axles, Dana axles gm14 bolts and such