Head Gasket Change - Freebie not starting

rocklazio

Hey,

I'm new in the case I haven't posted here before but i've been using the wealth of advise and guides posted on here for a year or so now.

I need some advice. I've needed to change the head gasket on a 98 Freelander 1.8 K series engine. I followed Les Hensons guide here:http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=22441.

I've now got a problem that she's not starting after completing the work. Now i've check the timing about 100 times and re-aligned them 3 times to make sure they are defiantly in line, which I really do think they are. I've also made sure the sprockets are both on the correct way around. (i'll attach a photo later on to hopefully rule it out).

Currently the car sounds like its getting close to firing up but just isn't quite making it. Any advise at this point would be massively helpful as its getting a bit frustrating.

Cheers in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the reply. I managed to sort it after a lot of messing about. I'll explain what I did so if anyone comes across the same problem and find this post it might help them.

I did a compression test and it was building compression OK but still wouldn't start.

So I replaced the spark plugs as they were a bit past it. Still not starting.

Decided it must be a bent valve so stripped it back down. Valves were OK. On building it back up, I got to do the timing again and this time removed the crank shaft pulley (which the guide did not say to do) and made sure I set the timing marks down there with the two cam values so that everything was 100% def in line. Got round to starting it. Tried about 10 times and she was getting so close but still just wouldn't quite fire (which was similar to before) but there was def a bit of an improvement. As i'd tried to start it A LOT i decided that my battery was taking a bit of a pounding and hooked some jump leads up to my other 4x4. After trying another 10 times and hammering the gas peddle she finally came to life.

In reflection, when doing the timing make sure you remove the crank shaft pulley (I highly recommend this method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_6SFBg7_dg) to properly set the timing, replace your spark plugs as its a cheap cost, and do an oil change when you're finished as the tappets sounded a little 'unlubricated' when the car started again. Finally have a bit of faith. It takes quite a few goes to first fire up.

Its a big relief to get it back on the road, now onto my next problem... road noise :rolleyes: