200 Tdi headlamp upgrade

o_teunico

Hi all!

If things go like planned, in six month I will have a Discovery 200.

One thing I would like to improve are the headlights. I have heard that 300 Tdi headlamps are much better, and (pre 2003) Disco II ones even better. Apparently early Disco II headlamps are a direct replacement for the 300, but, how about the 200? Can I fit early Disco II headlamps to the 200, maintaining 200´s indicators? Anyone made this before?

Think I still have a pair of 300 tdi headlamps, indicators and front grill here if you decide to go down that route.

However, the 200 tdi headlamps are not bad if the reflectors are still good. All you need to do to improve them 1000% is

1. fit better buls as suggested

2. fit relays to allow you to power the bulbs direct from the battery via HD cable. This will make a HUGE difference.

Tomorrow I will inspect a friend´s 300 to see exactly how different the panels/conectors are.

YRM´s panels, at 20 pound, are an affordable solution for the fittment of 300/early Td5 headlamps, but moddifiying 200´s panels themselfs will avoid welding/painting.

yrm_081b.png

the headlamp hole is bigger and the mounting holes are in a different place to the 200's - it can be done if you have access to a 300 to make a template, and are good at cutting bits out.

relays make a huge difference to the light output - more so with the 300 lamps and nightbreakers, plus it gives you a good trigger feed for spotlamps if you make your own loom :)