identifying gearboxes

jericho

Help?

I have been offered a second hand lt77 and lt230 out of a D reg 110,but they are clearly not the origional factory fit items.

How do I tell which main box and transfer box they are?

I have read that there was an early pre-tdi lt77 with higher 1st and lower 5th than later lt77s with serial number 50A,and that the 200 tdi lt77 has serial number 56A - but are these numbers written on the box any where?Or how else can you tell?

Similarly, how do I tell a 1.410 lt230 from a 1.667 lt230?

Maybe I am being thick,but I can't see numbers anywhere with all the muck on them.

On the main gearbox's right hand side directly below the fill/level plug, should be a horizontal machined face about 2 to 3 inches long, the serial number should be stamped or engraved on that face.

on the transfer box the serial number is located on the rear face at the 6o'clock position directly below the PTO cover plate [to the left of the transmission brake] & it may have a sticker [if it hasn't fallen off] in the same area stating the ratio.

IIRC all LR LT77 & later LT77S main gearboxes are the same ratio's, the transfer box ratio's [high range only] differ between various models/engine fitted,

LT77 ratio's are

5th --- 0.831:1

4th --- 1.000:1

3rd --- 1.507:1

2nd --- 2.301:1

1st --- 3.585:1

reverse --- 3.701:1

LT230 ratio's

high range --- 1.6670

low range --- 3.320 these fitted to 2.25 petrol & 2.25/2.5 n/a diesel --- 90 & 110

high range --- 1.411:1 fitted to 110 2.5TD engined & 200Tdi engined & V8 engined.

low range as above for all models 90/110

from my LR Defender workshop manual

Have a read Ashcroft's LT77 info

& Ashcroft's LT230 transfer box info

Edited by western

Guest diesel_jim
I think ………… and I’m sure Diesel Jim will be along soon……………. Some of the military boxes had a LOWER 1st gear ………..

I believe these were serial numbered 5?A ………… :unsure:

Ian

/hands in pockets, whistling, ambling down a street/......

"Hello" B)

Yeah, it's prefix 51A that was the military LT77 with lowered ratio 1st & 2nd gears.

Thanks Western,that was v.helpfull.

Got the transfer serial numbers from the ashcroft site.

But no definitive list of lt77 numbers.

It seems there was the military lt77 with lower first (3.985) and lower fifth (0.8314) - 51A

and the early 90/110 with higher first (3.585) and lower fifth (0.8314) - 50A- which vehicles?

and the later 90/110/disco with first (3.692) and fifth (0.77) 55A/56A

Are there any other numbers/ratios?

Guest diesel_jim
It seems there was the military lt77 with lower first (3.985) and lower fifth (0.8314) - 51A

I've got no listings for a lowered 5th gear on military applications, only 1st and 2nd. i don't ever recall there being lower 5th. :unsure:

hi,

you are paying a lot of attention to the first 2 digits of the serial number but the last is very important also,

the first 2 give the application, ie 50A is 4 cyl petrol and 4 cyl diesel N/A and TD but these start in the 1983 with the suffix 'D' 77 to the 'H' 77 and go upto preent day with the suffix 'L' R 380, they vary in strength hugely but are all prefix 50A,

the 51A is the military 77, lower 1st and 2nd, run from D to H suffixs,

the 200 TDi used the 56A, all were suffix G or H, replaced by the 44A R 380, J to L

the 300 defender used the 56A R 380, most were J but go upto L

the 300 military was the 58A, same as above but with an oil cooler casting on the side

the TD5 was the 68A suffix L, europe spec (non oil cooled)

the 74A was the TD5 def ROW (oil cooled) spec

the 66A was for the MPI defender (Italian police)

the 60A was the non oil cooled V8 def, 77 and 380, G to L

The 61A was the oil cooled def 77 and 380 G to L

I think that covers the defenders, there's about another 25 to cover disco's and the RR just on manual boxes alone and the saddist thing is I know them all off the top of my head !

Ashtrans - sorry to labour the point,but can you confirm or deny what I was told,that 50A and 51A have lower 5th (0.8314) than 56A (0.77).

thanks, Jerry.

yes the 50A and the 56A 5th ratio's are different, not because the tooth count of 5th are different (they are the same) but the 50A has 21 teeth on the pinion gear (driving the layshaft) and the 56A has 22