Headlight replacement

I bought a set of these which arrived today:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halogen-Crystal-headlamps-for-Land-Rover-Defender-head-lights-H4-round-7-90-110-/400642196833?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d4822c561

Look ok, so i got on with fitting them. I pulled the old headlight unit, stuck the bulk in the new one, aligned it and then put the old chrome retaining ring on it and tightened the ring up. Trouble is, the new headlight could move back and forth about 5mm with the ring tight, so it would wobble all over the show when driving. Looking at the locating lugs on the back of the new light, they were ~5mm shorter than the lugs on the original so the new light didnt sit as proud as the old one, hence why the ring didnt hold it tight.

As here:

post-12362-0-27511700-1390263774_thumb.jpg

Old light on the right, new on the left - the retaining/locating lugs are taller on the old light.

My 110 is a 1989 - was there a change in headlight after that? They are noted as fitting 1990 models. Anyone else had this problem?

Currently having exactly the same problem! Trying to get the 110 ready for it's MOT and as all the reflective material is at the bottom of the headlights, I thought oh got a pair of new light units, just bung em in. But like yourself they bloody rattle and I cannot see why.

I had the same problem a few years ago, with my new wipac crystal poly carbs. My solution which is still in place, is a gasket made from a length of old flexible silicon/squishy ps/2 mouse cable. Diameters of cable vary but as I had a bucket load of old mice I selected and cut two lengths and put a dab of evostick on the wire then stuck around the unit. PVC cable isn't much good as it wont squish down

Cant remember if it was in front or behind the unit but it has been there a few years without issue.

HTH

Pete

It's just annoying as the ad says they will fit all makes.

So, Jef, are they the paddocks ones you are using? They were going to be my next choice. (Plus, it's a half hour job to change the bulbs on a defender, so wasting time taking out and replacing the old lights isn't that much fun!!)

I seem to remember that some rings are deeper/ shallower than others.

Half an hour to change the H4 lamp. No way. Just open bonnet and lean over the wing to undo the cover and clips. Lamp out of headlight, undo connectors then replace, simple.

There are at least two types of bowls available. You can get full bowls that you can make a cup and fill it with water.

Then you have what I have fitted. The center of the bowl back cut out. I don't know who makes/ supplies them.

Of course if yours are plastic, then a jig saw makes life easy.

It's just annoying as the ad says they will fit all makes.

So, Jef, are they the paddocks ones you are using? They were going to be my next choice. (Plus, it's a half hour job to change the bulbs on a defender, so wasting time taking out and replacing the old lights isn't that much fun!!)

Yup!

Yes

Thanks mike. Appreciated.

If I change these, I guess I will alter the alignment and need to get it reset? Is there a DIY way of doing this?

Manuals used show how to do it up against a wall (oooh eeerrrr) light pattern that is.

There are at least two types of bowls available. You can get full bowls that you can make a cup and fill it with water.

Then you have what I have fitted. The center of the bowl back cut out. I don't know who makes/ supplies them.

Of course if yours are plastic, then a jig saw makes life easy.

Wipac make both of the types. both a full bowl and ones with the middle missing.

When I replaced the sealed beams in my '86 90 I used the cheapest h4 set that paddocks do, I've never had much joy with the adjusters and chrome rings so I ordered new plastic buckets at the same time

When I fitted them I put a 75mm hole saw through the back of the bucket so I can change bulbs without the faff of taking the front end apart. The cheapo h4 lamps fit the buckets just fine

I found with my Halogen Crystal headlamps, that they are loose in the retainers and they do not focus properly, they do not have a defining line on the beam, nearly failed the MOT so will be going back to OEM Glass with bulb.

Now, as an update, the company have said that they may have a replacement with lugs that are a similar depth to my original ones - this route would be easier than changing the bowls, but the description of the specs is as follows:

Specification Summary

Lens - clear polycarbonate plastic with anti-scratch coating.

Reflector - Multi surface plastic reflector ( non rusting )

Bulb - Halogen H4 ( not provided )

E Marked - No ( but will pass MOT )

Question is, about the last line - if they are not e marked, are they legal??? I dont want to find myself uninsured or something at a later date just for a set of headlights!

the pattern is set by the reflector not the glass lense, are yours fitted the right way up ?

the lense should have a left pointing arrow to denote the dip beam direction for right hand drive vehicles.

Hi Western

Yes they are the right way as in the fog I stopped and ajusted them? as you could see the line, but it is not a clear line it just fades into darkness, and looking at the light tester thingy in the MOT bay there is not a defining mark, just a fuzzy blur ?