Black Bullet In LR Camcorder Full Fitting Thread + Review

Hi All,

Many of us (Moi included) fancy / want an onboard LR Video Camcorder, some to record the mupperty of being carved up / Insurance etc, and or Off Road driving videos.

I have bought 2 x so far, both of the 1st I was disaapointed with, both for resolution, one for poor build (it was velly velly cheap) and the other for lack of controls / options.

There is defo here "You pay for what you get" one was around £30 the other a bit more, both I wasn't happy with. There are a raft of things on ebay, some are true junk

some have all sorts of levels of HDness - 1440x1080p / 1280x720p..the Bukllet has 1920x1080p :D

I did a mass of research, peeps said "Go Pro" but they are a fortune, and no screen, I found on the cheap ones I had no screen = 3 hrs of video included someones right ear etc ...

partly due to no screen partly to poor mounting systems ...

So, some huge amount of research later I ended up buying one of these :

http://www.carcamerachoices.co.uk/black_bullet_camera.html#sthash.LkbqAUM7.dpbs

Its called "Black Bullet" about 3" x 1.5" and comes with fitting kit with a clever Detachable Shoe, leads free software etc etc etc

There are 2 x models, GPS and NON GPS, - I went for the GPS with a 32GB (yes 32GB Card !!!) and it was delivered in a couple of days all in for £109.99

I worked on the fact many cameras use the Card, so if this was poor as well I could cut some losses and go for another camera and use this card :rofl:

Anyway, some info about it :

Screen - 1.5 Inch LCD (Auto switch off for driving)

Lens - Wide Angle but no massive so not too much fisheyeing

Recording Time With 32GB Card - 6 hours and 15 minutes Full 1920x1080 HD

and a massive 8 hours and 30 minutes 1280x720 HD - it records in preset "Chunks" I have 5 mins Chunks, so it will record 15 mins of travel as 3 x chunks, with no spottable gap between them, clever for pulling out for editing just what you wnat vs hunting 8 hrs files !

GPS Tracker - Optional - Either present or not present in fastening box. PC software included. UK Miles Per Hour (MPH) Compliant.

Processor - Ambarella A2S60 yep, meant nothing to me either lol

Video Resolution - 1920x1080p / 1440x1080p / 1280x720p

G-Sensor - Yes - locks video file containing event

Frame Rate - 30 FPS - defo this is higher than many

Driver Number Recording Yes - On or Off

Loop Recording - Yes - On with 1 min, 3 min or 5 min blocks. Or Off "Chunks"

File Storage Type - .MOV

HDMI Port - Yes

Memory Compatibility - Micro SD Cards to 32GB

So, Here is what arrived :

post-22-0-65464700-1399387049_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-95248200-1399387134_thumb.jpg

In there is the Camera (£1 coin to give idea of size, the "Locking Dock" for the screen - I liked this, the "Dock" is powered from Ciggy Lighter and the camera clips in and out

so you don't need to undo powwer leads etc to remove camera, other dock pads are availble so easy to move camera from one car to another :)

PC lead connector, Ciggy Lighter connector, and 32GB Samsung SDHC Card.

Fitting, well I did a quick fit, liked it so much then did a proper fit. Cleaned Inside of Windscreen decided to pop it right up out of the way next to the mirror.

Here are some pics - 1st the Shoe Mounting with power lead popped in

post-22-0-88466200-1399387486_thumb.jpg

Now add the camera, just clips in firmly :

post-22-0-63006400-1399387541_thumb.jpgpost-22-0-26023200-1399387512_thumb.jpgpost-22-0-05990700-1399387520_thumb.jpg

Screen is small but ample to be able to get it lined up correctly for the right view, the camera has a click step adjustment that rotaes it up or down, and a simple to access menu button x 3, and the big on / off at the side.

Camera is then wired up, and it can be programmed to come on when ignition comes on, and turns off 1 min after ignition goes off - and thats it, 8 hrs of recording time, when the card is full it goes back to the beginning and over records, or switch cards !

The ciggy lighter drops the power input to 5V from 12V so I bought a simple "Female" Ciggy adapter, joined it and tapped it up

post-22-0-03010200-1399387717_thumb.jpgpost-22-0-91537300-1399387612_thumb.jpg

That then lives up inside the top roof Mud console, and the 2 x wires from the ciggy go to a fused ignition live feed.

The original Manual is like most of these "Velly Engrish", but Mark who runs CamChoices has rewritten in to "English" here is what he sends out ! - Crystal !

http://www.carcamwarehouse.com/mini_0801_manual.html

So, the actual filming .......

Well, at Max Definition Hi-Res a 5 mins video file is circa 450-500MB ! so haven't uploaded one here, but I have done a few seconds worth and in dabbled shade so to sho it at its worst, in bright sunlight - stunning. There are 2 x bits of free software available the 1st rather basic allows you to play back videos and GPS / Mapping Info and see the GPS setting etc, and do a quick screen grab picture at the press of a button

post-22-0-45231100-1399392180_thumb.png

Hmmm GPS also is telling me I'm doing 31 MPH in a 30 !! _ Prob more accuate than my speedo :lol: !!!

So, blue car on the left, from the screen grab (less clear than freezing the video) lets zoom in :

post-22-0-50916000-1399392373_thumb.jpg

Er not bad - I have actually had to pixel it a bit as it was too clear !)

On the basic software again - here is a screen grab, shows route on GPS and all data / a screen garb again doesn't do justice to the clarity of the picture !

post-22-0-06980700-1399392935_thumb.jpg

The 2nd bit of software is far more advanced offering Zooming overall spped journey, journey mapping and other functions I haven't tried yet :D

screen grab from the 2nd software : http://www.registratorviewer.com/download_en.html which is also free :

post-22-0-30500800-1399454736_thumb.jpg

Both bits of software are on my PC, you basically just create a folder called "Todays Video session" plug camera into PC, and then copy THE ENTIRE contents of the card into the new folder.

when you load the Video file(s) it loads the GPS Logs and maps automatically - Mmmm Simples !"

I have used Windows Movie maker to edit this VERY short clip in poor dabbled lighting to give you an idea of full HD Max definition Video

VVQuick Movie.mp4

So, there you go, hope its of interest ...I'm damned chuffed with this and now its in there its in / done / dusted / automatic.....

There are others out there I am sure, but this ticks all the boxes (Finally) is good HD quality, simple to use, screen to set up, locking docking clever, and good value for money.

Lastly I did have a couple of "oooer" moments Marc was on the end of the phone with the answers, try that from "Velly velly cheap good ebblay purclasse" :rofl:

Nige

Mine arrived yesterday from carcamerashop.co.uk ( amazon seller )

I would put the picture quality ahead of the blackvue and its tiny!

Early days but a good recommendation from Nige

Is there any specific night view with these or do they rely on ambient light? Looking good though I like being able to purchase extra cradles. Just looking on the website but could not see a listing for extra mounting blocks, do you happen to know how much they might be?

Ambient light only, not sure how else it could work, I.r. illumination might be a challenge.

Yes the place I used let's you order spare / second cradles if you like, just select at checkout and specify GPS or not.

I think the second gps mount which comes with another cigarette to USB charger and I ordered a hardwired 12V adapter in total was an extra 20 quid or so.

I pulled one of the GPS mounts to pieces (four small screws) as I will connect it to the vehicle GPS receiver which has a prop per filtered roof top antenna.

One other thing, I had a question for the seller and he quickly responded by E-mail , from the uk, and quite late at night so pretty good support.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

I also brought one from carcamerashop.co.uk. Brought two docks - the first for the Rangie - as yet untested, and second for my daily driver - Nissan X-Trail T30 (old shape). Mounted the dock high on the windscreen near the rear view mirror. Really pleased with the results with one exception.

The ariel on the XTrail is right above the rear view mirror. I finding with the dock powered up it's causing radio interference - it's plugged into the auxiliary power socket in the "glove box" immediately in front of the driver. Has anyone else had issues like this?

Haven't contacted carcamerashop.co.uk yet but will when I find the feedback email....

cheers

Darren

Yes it may be noise from the voltage converter or maybe nose from the units CPU etc.

There are a few things you can try depending on the outcome of the test.

Its also worth making sure the connections to the x-trail antenna are good.

The Chinese manufacturers reduce cost and price by (amongst other things) leaving out emc filtering components- for example the cheap eBay LED work lights have power supplies that are very noisy. The one on the back of my 90 was so bad it would completely kill DAB/FM reception when it was on. Adding two capacitors and an inductor very close to the lamp cured this. It would have added maybe 20p to the manufacturing cost but multiply that by ten thousand units and you can see why they ignore the requirements.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...