Windscreen Crank Gear

Dose anybody know if it is possible to remove the Wiper motor cable and turn the Crank Gears though 180 deg, to an unworn section of the mechanism and then refit the cable.

Not normally this tight but have spent all my cash on sorting other problems, so need to last a bit longer.

Thanks

Rod

Yes, first remove the wiper blades & arms from the driveshafts [aka wheelboxes], mark these at the 12 o'clock position so you know where the started from, the remove the left end of dash to gain access to the motor, unplug the electrical connector & earth wire, remove the retainer strap & screw, then unscrew the tube nut & lower the motor & pull it out of the vehicle the drive cable for the wipers will come with it, as you do this the driveshafts will rotate as the cable passes under their gears & put it on a dry/clean surface, ready for refit, check the driveshafts to see where your marks are, & re-orintate ready for refit of the motor/drive cable, when you've put the motor back in check again to see where your marks are, hopefully at the 6o'clock position, if not try again until they are where you want them.

Thanks Western

This has proved very successful :) , with most of the free play gone & some of the noise.

I rotated the shafts 180 deg's but also removed the backplate from the motor, adjusted up the backlash in the motor wormgear before turning the cable block over. So the cable is now also running on the unworn side.

Well worth doing if your wipers seem to have a mind of their own.

Rod

Guest diesel_jim
Thanks Western

This has proved very successful :) , with most of the free play gone & some of the noise.

I rotated the shafts 180 deg's but also removed the backplate from the motor, adjusted up the backlash in the motor wormgear before turning the cable block over. So the cable is now also running on the unworn side.

Well worth doing if your wipers seem to have a mind of their own.

Rod

How do you adjust the backlash?

The backlash on the motors worm-gear is adjusted by lock nut and slotted screw.

This is in line with the worm-gear and at 90 degs to the cable.

The easiest way to understand this is with the motors back plate removed.

Don’t over do things as you will lock it up tight :( , there needs to be a small working clearance.

Sorry I didn’t take any pictures.

I've been through this today and taken a few pics to build on the thread for anyone else who may need to do this.

Sloppy wipers positioning, clicking and irregular swing a problem for you...

post-1475-126374378183_thumb.jpg

Remove Wiper blades and arms. Note the current position of the splines...

post-1475-126374375639_thumb.jpg

post-1475-126374377053_thumb.jpg

You are going to need to remove the Land Rover badge and remove the screw, and any other screw you find in the general area !!!

(Under LR badge, two on top of lower dash and door hinge cover and two below dash)

post-1475-126374368909_thumb.jpg

When you have removed all the coverd area you should see something like this..

post-1475-126374371741_thumb.jpg

Remove the connecting wires, slide the black rubber cover up to reveal a locking nut and unscrew the two larger screws that secure the motor to the bulkhead...

When free, loosen the large nut at the top of the motor and the motor should separate from the drive cable tub

post-1475-126374374309_thumb.jpg

Lay motor and cable on a flat surface.

Go to the splines and rotate them through 180 degrees. (Half way round)

You can just re-inster the cable and re-fit at this point if you like...

Or, open up the motor unit, ease off the circular clip and remove the drive shaft and cable from the motor..

post-1475-126374370277_thumb.jpg

(I was a bit naughty and used the bonnet.. Not nearly clean enough but nearby !)

Motor with cable removed..

post-1475-12637437289_thumb.jpg

I turned the cable over on the drive shaft and re-inserted the cable and shaft into the motor housing..

It was then a case of sliding the cable back into the tube, affix the motor by tightening the nut again and checking that the splines were in a different place to when I started !! (Luckily enough they were...)

At this point I believe the manuals say "Re-fitting is the reverse of removal"

(Don't forget to re-connect the earth on one of the motor/bulkhead screws)

I'd advise a quick test of the mechanism before you secure the dash in place again.

If you have any questions, please feel free to respond here or send me a PM..

Neil

• 1 year later...
:i-m_so_happy: I'll leave a copy here so others can add to it,

I did all this work, it took me 18 mins :lol: which included taking off and refitting wiper adapter and trim as i`d forgotten to replace speaker cable

Does anybody know what the 20/60/60/30 amp fuses run to under the bonnet nearside? :blink:

• 2 years later...

Great info guys,this works! Unfortunately for me when i was undoing the nut where the shaft goes into the motor,I found it really stiff,I applied some bicep power of which i have a fair amount (much to my detriment) i crimped the driveshaft tube aaaaarrrrhhhh!!!! learning curve..be careful.

• 5 years later...

so my replacement gear turned up today, followed the above instructions....

When testing the wipers, i found they were now stopping in the up position and not down at the base of the wind screen.

I recall now looking at the 2 gears when i had it all apart that they were identical except for a plastic lump on the underside of the gear. From memory i also noticed a push switch in the section where the gear inserts.

The 2 gears have this plastic lump in different positions. Well i thought what could that be..... So i reassembled ensuring the gear matched the position the old one was in.

Before getting covered in grease again i thought i would share my experience.

Does the gear need rotating? it seems that the position of that lump under the gear is what needs to match as i imagine now(with hindsight) that the lump hits a switch that cuts the motor and reverses the motion.

My brain hurts...

so my replacement gear turned up today, followed the above instructions....

When testing the wipers, i found they were now stopping in the up position and not down at the base of the wind screen.

I recall now looking at the 2 gears when i had it all apart that they were identical except for a plastic lump on the underside of the gear. From memory i also noticed a push switch in the section where the gear inserts.

The 2 gears have this plastic lump in different positions. Well i thought what could that be..... So i reassembled ensuring the gear matched the position the old one was in.

Before getting covered in grease again i thought i would share my experience.

Does the gear need rotating? it seems that the position of that lump under the gear is what needs to match as i imagine now(with hindsight) that the lump hits a switch that cuts the motor and reverses the motion.

My brain hurts...

the 'bump' can be prised off the gear & repostioned to the other set of holes to set the park position.

the 'push in switch' is the park switch that pin rides up the bump to tell motor to switch off & park the arms/blades.

the 'bump' can be prised off the gear & repostioned to the other set of holes to set the park position.

the 'push in switch' is the park switch that pin rides up the bump to tell motor to switch off & park the arms/blades.

So i just found out when attempting again! :o You beat me to replying.

I left the casing off and tightened the earth up to the bulk head so i could see how the gear worked, for some reason i had it in my head that the gear rotated forwards and backwards :wacko:

I realised that the bump on the back of the gear was in the wrong place for it work how it was then saw it could be removed and re-positioned on the opposite side of the gear. :rtfm:

Well that was what i call a learning curve!

• Like 1

I think it is a bit easier to adjust the end float when the wipers are running, I tend to do it too tight when they are stopped. To do it running, I run the wipers and tighten the screw till they slow, then back it out a touch beyond where they pick up to full speed. If you go too far out it sounds noisier.

• 3 months later...