Leaking fuel cap - defender

JST

Right, have seen the tech article and even without the photos (plus link in the def forum to it) i can make out what its on about, however i don't want to change the current filler cap.

The problem is it leaks when on side slopes and steep gradients.

I have a new upto td5, style locking filler cap as fitted to all tdis, rather than the older larger filler. It also has a new filler tube.

i understand the tank vents through the cap.

so how do you make it so it has air in, but no fuel out?

or could i totally seal the cap (how would you do that anyway? where is the breather part)

and then undo the pipe that is the current breather pipe from where it connects on the top of the filler pipe, insert a 'T' piece and extend a further breather pipe say to the top of the vehicle?

Then if it rolls the fuel comes out the breather now at the top of the cab/loadbay. can you get a one way valve to go in it? air in, no fuel out, and how would you stop water going in?

anythoughts greatly appreciated as fed up with losing alot of diesel just been static!

dont want to change it as its new! sounds like its buggered then

so do all the vented caps leak then? Chris presume yours is vented? and tim i guess the one you borrowed from Will is also vented?

Jase - prob best bet, so from that i guess you can get none vented ones, know a MPN? good place for T pieces and some more pipe? Presume this is what you have done with yours? what did you do at the end of the breather just U bend?

Well as you know, mine pee,s it out !! and being a proper engine, can not afford to lose a lot :rolleyes:

Saying that, I "borrowed" Wills (Warne) cap at Tony's bash, and did not notice any lose !!

Yours pees it out becuase the caop's broken- get a new cap and you won't pollute the enviroment (quite as much).

Anyway i don't know what you are worrying about- we are only talking about the difference between 10mpg and 11mpg- hardly goign to break the bank!

Yours pees it out becuase the caop's broken- get a new cap and you won't pollute the enviroment (quite as much).

Anyway i don't know what you are worrying about- we are only talking about the difference between 10mpg and 11mpg- hardly goign to break the bank!

Jim

It leaked before the cap was bust (got run over by Victor !!) On FCSW3, i used a full tank + some more, for about 20 miles, !!, NEW cap fitted

James, even if it deosn't appear to leak it will let air in and so water will get in too. Not a great idea IMHO. I'm doing a simerlar mod to HfH and fitting a fully sealed, aircraft style, filler. These aren't cheap (£100 including 2 1/4" neck) but are superbly made. The original neck then has to be shortened and moddified to take a roll over valve (one way valve that allows air in, but not fuel out) and then run a tube up to the top of the cage.

The other way is take the breather up to the roof, across the roof and then down through the floor to the bottom of the tank and back up, can't leak in any position even upside down unless it siphons.

What I did, works, tested in a multiple barrel roll, going bonnet deep (filler under water) in water, stay there for half an hour for winch bitch to find a tree and than winch out. Fuel supply not been a problem and no leaking.

I use an ordinary s3 cap with the vent hole braced up to make it close.

Will warnes pockets are too deep....

Daan

Apparantly pattern filler caps are very poor in this department alas, I was advised to buy genuine although I'd hate to think how much that would cost !

Mo

About £ 50 with the vat, genuine, looked at that, and sent it back when the invoice arrived !!!

new non locking defender type £10

Now the weather is worsening and the rain is peeing it down, just a reminder to everyone, especially the diesel users, to keep the fuel in your tank and keep the boys on 2 wheels upright!

When you fill the tank with diesel please do not fill to the brim which usually results in spillage.

If you have not at some stage taken to 2 wheels, I can assure you that your cheeks flutter when the front wheel gets a mind of it's own on a wet corner after a diesel spill and I don't mean your cheeks either side of your nose!

Ta muchly and spread the word!

I replaced mine with a Bearmach/Allmakes/whatever one and it sealed it for a while, but after about 3 months started leaking again. I just make sure I've only got half a tank when I'm off roading, although I might have to invest in a Jerry can as that has caused problems on steep slopes before, and with a mechanical winch is a bit of a bugger!

Richard

My Brother has the same problem in his 90..bought a new cap and it still leaked,rubbed down the rust on the neck sealing surfaces, still leaked. added the old rubber seal on top of the new one..tight to put cap on but it doesnt leak anymore

Excellent Tip!

I'm going to try that too