Race to Dakar

MogLite

I've just watched the 2nd part of Race to Dakar on Sky Two. I missed the first part alas.

Its kinda the sequal to "The Long Way Round" with Charlie Boorman entering the Dakar.

The really funny part is, they get built a BMW X5 chase car.

The car is built by a certain company famed for its orange springs.

There is an awful lot of bad press for said company on TV. Including Colon being interviewed.

The X5 was over budget, late and not finished, and kept breaking down - I laughed.

For anyone who has an axe to grind - essential viewing :D

I've just watched the 2nd part of Race to Dakar on Sky Two. I missed the first part alas.

Its kinda the sequal to "The Long Way Round" with Charlie Boorman entering the Dakar.

The really funny part is, they get built a BMW X5 chase car.

The car is built by a certain company famed for its orange springs.

There is an awful lot of bad press for said company on TV. Including Colon being interviewed.

The X5 was over budget, late and not finished, and kept breaking down - I laughed.

For anyone who has an axe to grind - essential viewing :D

We Sky + it the other night but have not watched it yet.....

It may be the first part

I laughed when I saw who they were using ;)

It was the slick back hair effect that made my stomach turn. Was that Colon's attempt at looking good for the camera while trying to make excuses why it wasn't ready on time/on budget/...... ?

Wife did wonder what I was laughing about :)

You'll enjoy it Jules.

i think you're all being very mean..... ;)

how many of you would have the confidence and skills to prep a vehicle then go and test it in such inhospitible and tough terrain....

.....oh, erm... yeah... quite a few of you... including me. :)

i've not seen the program but i'm sure he'll blag his way out of it.

not seen the telly but but as I always belive what I read I take it that Scorpion had no problems - the diary on their site gives the impression that all went swimmingly

hoorah for Scorpion !

I can't read so rearly beleive print :huh: mainly due to not understanding it.

I only know from what I have done and broken my self :rolleyes:

if you know this will make sence :huh:

Another nail in the coffin...

Can anyone tell me how this company survives so much ill-will and, it seems, technical 'set-backs' / issues and always seems to come out thriving?

Wish I'd seen the prog now, just for general Dakar interest, not Scrapiron poking-fun-at...

(Well maybe both).

Al.

http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/

just follow the news and events pages.... theres quite a lot on there about the BMW.... some of the prep actually looks quite reasonable (rollcage) whereas some of it looks carp (recovery points, roofrack)

but, like always.. they'll live to fight another day.... hated by most, trusted by less and less people all the time...

Another nail in the coffin...

Can anyone tell me how this company survives so much ill-will and, it seems, technical 'set-backs' / issues and always seems to come out thriving?

I did hear a rumour that Scrapiron may be on the market. Nothing concrete mind you. If the firm is on the market then I guess that they are making their books available to potential costomers...

Chris

i thought the best photo was the one where they are using someone else's springs unless they have started a purple/pinky colour range :rolleyes:

What, this one? Looks like its Reiger to go with the rest of the suspension.

sworkshop10.jpg

Oh, and did you see it miraculously changed colour to orange later on???

X5_Scorpion003.jpg