ditto

but

I suggest a recessed panel a la Sheppard,

I did a sketch and will have it made asap,

already kicked the key 2 or 3 times while engine was running,

not the best...

:(

Ditto, seat box passenger side.

I have two batteries, bought a marine, waterproof isolator, has 4 positions, Batt 1, Batt 2, Batts 1 & 2, Off.

Works well been on two vehicles now, cost about £30 IIRC.

Wired mine with welding cable, its more flexible and easily carries the load.

ditto

You wnat the battery lead as short as poss (no pun intended :lol: ) so that if anything goes wrong you have the shortest poss lead between the dead 90 and the charged battery. ie no point having a 6 foot lead and then the switch, as if the 6 foot lead shorts on something the switch won't have any effect

I'm sure you'll know this , but that prob why most switches are shoved where they are !

Nige

Guest diesel_jim

I alo fancy doing mine like Mr Shepard, will get around to it one day!

I fitted mine in the front of the footwell and made a little guard to cover it.

No Ali

I have an individual porcelain cutoff switch on each winch but the AWDC rules specify a battery cutoff is required also. to isolate the vehicle electrics and cut power to the engine in case of emergency.

so along side the 2 winch cut offs I'm fitting a battery cut off to,

also fitted a 2litre AFFF extinguisher(cheers Nick) and an extra spring on the throttle, yellow markings on the neg battery connections and labels for all cut offs on or near the winches.

this way it will pass scrutineering on any future AWDC events I enter as well as being a good idea generally.

All my recovery gear is rated and stamped as such, this makes for less aggro at any scrutineering on any events we do for the rest of this year and all the ones we hope to do in 2007>

No Ali

I have an individual porcelain cutoff switch on each winch but the AWDC rules specify a battery cutoff is required also. to isolate the vehicle electrics and cut power to the engine in case of emergency.

so along side the 2 winch cut offs I'm fitting a battery cut off to,

also fitted a 2litre AFFF extinguisher(cheers Nick) and an extra spring on the throttle, yellow markings on the neg battery connections and labels for all cut offs on or near the winches.

this way it will pass scrutineering on any future AWDC events I enter as well as being a good idea generally.

All my recovery gear is rated and stamped as such, this makes for less aggro at any scrutineering on any events we do for the rest of this year and all the ones we hope to do in 2007>

Ahh ok

I could not belive you did not have one but had to ask. :lol::lol:

I fitted one to my old 90 . Attc it to the neg cables (as there is less stuff coming of the neg terminals than the pos ones). It worked fine and great. But i did it so the truck did not run its battery down while i was not using it. Manily as i used to leave it months at a time sat on the drive doing nothing

Nick

the switches came from David Bowyer

and under max load I'm sure there is a huge current draw, unsure what it is though.

x2 batteries in parallel XP motor running through an Allbright contactor.

no loacalised heating of any connections detected as yet, and the same set up is used on a fair few mates winch set ups.

Put it somewhere easy to reach, ISTR a video of a 90 rolling over and they didn't cut the engine quick enough before it ran away on it's own oil - not a happy place to be! Think some quick bystander managed to block the snorkel or such like before it went BANG :o

Edit: Forgot to say "Bloody TDi's" etc. etc. :D

Maybe a stupid coment but do you need this for the total truck cut off. Ie flick the switch and turn off everything.

Becasue if you are talking about your 300 TDi (which from memory Tony, if like mine does not have an ECU) then if you cut the power the engine will keep going anyway. Will it not :huh:

As the 300 needs not much power to run and the fuel pump will be run by the alternator when the battery power is cut off. And after all that is all the power it needs while running

Ali

if you cut the power on a TDI it stops as the fuel solenoid shuts (this is incorrect see over)

and the fuel pump is manual from the cam not electric.

the alt protection is there to stop a surge when you disconnect the positive lead a resistor to eth is installed with the switch

Ali

if you cut the power on a TDI it stops as the fuel solenoid shuts

and the fuel pump is manual from the cam not electric.

the alt protection is there to stop a surge when you disconnect the positive lead a 3Ohm resistor to eth is installed with the switch

Ok then it will do :)

Just wondering thats all :)

Tony your wrong i'm afraid mate....

If you disconnect the batteries when your tdi is running it will, just keep running :blink:

This is because the alternater provides the power.

You require a proper cut off switch that has in built seperatotrs to stop everything...DEAD B)

These switches are available (From ourselves) are are about £20

Try staring your engine and then disconnecting the battery, you might be suprised.....

Jim :)

Well I stand corrected Ali and Jim

I have purchased the correct FIA Approved type that disconnects the battery and the stop solenoid plus has the resistor connections to protect the alternator.

I will fit mine next week and take a few pictures.

Tony your wrong i'm afraid mate....

If you disconnect the batteries when your tdi is running it will, just keep running :blink:

This is because the alternater provides the power.

You require a proper cut off switch that has in built seperatotrs to stop everything...DEAD B)

These switches are available (From ourselves) are are about £20

Try staring your engine and then disconnecting the battery, you might be suprised.....

Jim :)

Thanks Jim did think it was the case. But only ever tried it with a 200 and not a 300 TDi