Trip to the Pyrenees

GBMUD

Further to my thread here I have found out about the English and French school hols and decided that the wekeend of May 12th and 13th would seem a suitable time to go tripping - I will plan to be in the area for a couple of days either side of the weekend too, although not necessarily green-laneing each day. I have not finally decided my travel plans yet, see my discoveries below.

I would very much like this to be a forum trip BUT I am NOT going to be responsible in any organisational sense. As yet I have no leads on where to find information about green lanes for free - I am also not taking any responsibility for anyone else and I do not plan to arrange groups, routes, campsites, ferries or toilet breaks. In short, this is NOT an organized trip - in the same way as Wales was not organized... :lol: That said, I propose to share all and any information I get regard these lest anyone should wish make the same bookings or to come along too. ;)

I have looked into the cost of international travel with a motorcar and discovered that:

Return crossings:

Poole-Cherbourg is £325

Plymouth-Santander is £462

Portsmouth to Bilbao is £606

Dover-Calais is £92

Dover-Dunkirk is £38

It is a longer drive but I think that I can do home to Tarbes (a reasonably sized town chosen as it is near the area I think we might go), via Dover and Dunkirk, for less then £200 return including ferry and fuel - although it may make sense to take more than one day about it. That makes it a no-brainer for me! Incidentaly, I know it costs some V8 drivers more than £200 for a weekend in Wales! :D

For reference:

Dunkirk to Tarbes is 1075km

Santander to Tarbes is 421km

In the thread mentioned above a number of people expressed an interest. I know that some people no longer have sensible Landrovers or indeed, any Landrovers at all! Anyone is welcome to come along, whether they are on the old list or not - and even if they can only muster a non-Landrover 4x4 :P. I will start a list here as and when people tell me that they have booked a ferry crossing - I hope to do so next week.

Anything else anyone thinks of, please post it up. :) Information regarding the availability of greenlane routes, campsites etc. will be most especially welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

As you know Chris, we shall be joining your organised guided forray onto the continent! :lol::lol::ph34r: .

Will probably take a couple of weeks off and make our way down and up the country at our leisure.

Haven't booked the ferry yet, but we're already planning our route! :D

Chris, sounds good, stick me down please, any chance of some tulips this time for the road maps rather than just grids, i'll drop you a tenner to cover the ferry bookings costs, one day at a site would be good as well, assume youll jack that up?? any ideas for insurance, will you provide that as part of the package as well? When can we expect to receive an itinery......

I'm definately up for this - a trip to the south of France certainly appeals, and May will be a good time of year for it. I'll probably head down there the weekend before (ferry on 5th), in a similar scenic fashion to my last trip, avoiding the péage. Then trot around the lanes (there won't be any mud, will there?) and blat back up north on the motorways, returning 14th May.

15hrs from home to Tarbes, 980 miles via Dunkirk (via autoroute anyway)

we could even MAKE this into a mini challenge, my challenge will be getting the truck cab there and back!!!!!

anyone know the price of fuel in France?

edited

Hi,

Not sure what the prices are, but there is a road train in France, which goes from Paris to the south. I have never used it, but I have heard you drive your car onto the train, and even get a cabin for overnight kip.

Cheers, Paul.

15hrs from home to Tarbes, 980 miles via Dunkirk (via autoroute anyway)

You will be pushing on to do that James !!

Anyhow, been looking at it a little more!

Its looking for me, best route is going to be Plymouth - Roscoff for £ 319, (2 persons,& cheapest cabin/bunk) overnight, getting in at 10.00 hours then 540 odd miles, in one hit, so down there around 22.00

I am working on 26mpg so total cost there and back of around £520

Going via Dover is near the 1000 miles as compared to just over the 600, so 800 mile round trip saving, (£150.00 diesel),

Chris, I know you use the funny fuel,, but to do 1800 miles on £ 160.s worth, ain't bad going !!

Chris, I know you use the funny fuel,, but to do 1800 miles on £ 160.s worth, ain't bad going !!

Mmmm, my maths may have been a little "special" when I worked that out...

Trowbridge to Tarbes is 856 miles. I get about 210 miles from £40 so that means about 4 tankfuls or £160 each way. With some adjustment for French diesel prices and the ferry, I guess that a little over £300 is more reasonable/accurate. :)

Chris

Without ferry, food, or fees for frivolous fun, my fuel alone will cost over four hundred notes... so as they say in the Dragons den, I'm out! :P

You have time to grow up and buy a diesel before then... or do the planned upgrade from the Disco and then use that with the fuel card :)

Chris

Chris,

Before I book a ferry etc, any plans for campsites? Do you intend to stay in the same place each night, or move on and carry all your stuff to the next place after a day's laning? Not that it's an organised affair, you understand, I just want to hound you on your holiday around France & Spain. ;)

... and does anyone want to group together (not in an organised manner, you understand) for the run down, I was thinking of ferry out on the wednesday prior to and ferry home the wednesday after, going Dover / Dunkirk and ambling down on the autoroute.

Mo