How to fit a Dual Din to a TD5 dash console

I recently got a dual din head unit and like many people i googled to find out how to go on about it, but it seems that there is not much information on how it’s achieved. I have therefore taken some photos of the procedure maybe they will be of any help to anyone who decides to do the same….

Basically i just cut to shape a modelling plastic card to fill the hole and glued it with epoxy as per below:
IMG_0804.JPG
Sanded it down with 80 grit sandpaper to get good adhesion with the fiberglass
IMG_0806.jpg
I then laid 5 sheets of fibreglass sheets on the back of it to strengthen it as i would need to cut open a new aperture and it will also have to hold the weight of the new unit.
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0808.jpg
Once set, i filled and smoothed the surface with ABS filler from Wurth. This needed at least 3 thin applications and sanded it to a smooth surface with 180 grit sand paper in between each application to ensure a smooth finish.
IMG_0809.JPG
The last sanding was done with 250 grit sand paper and this time round i sanded the whole console to get the same finish all throughout. To finish off i then sanded everything with a 500grit and went ahead with the primer :)
IMG_0811.jpg
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
Once this is all done…. just mark the size required, making sure that you align the bottom of the unit with the bottom line of the ‘blank space’ of the the console. This is very important as the hazard, demister etc. switches will hit the head unit and it won’t be fun starting all over :)
IMG_0832.JPG
You now just need to cut out the new aperture with a dremel tool or whatever you see fit
IMG_0833.JPG
once this is done just give it two coats of spray to finish it off…. sit back and enjoy :)
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0840.JPG