'W' Terminal Creating on Marelli Alternator

Gents,

I need your help.

I've just been bought a VDO rev counter for my 1994 110 300 Tdi CSW.

The alternator doesn't have the required 'W' terminal to connect the gauge to the alternator.

Croytec's instructions say that a 'W' terminal can be created by removing the alternator and soldering in a wire off any one of the three windings.

I've never removed an alternator before (yes, I've seen the thread and have a Haynes manual, so that's easy enough, I hope), but has anyone done this before and could you pass on any more help than simply taking the alternator apart and wiring in a new connection?

I'll have an electrically-competent person with me but if anyone has done this before, I'd be grateful for more detailed instruction. Is it really this straightforward? Recommended alternator stripdown instructions?

Job starts Sunday morning. Any replies before then would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I'll leave wiring it up until next weekend.

Take the back off. You want to tap into one of the main wires coming from the stator before the rectifier. There should be three. On mine, there were bolts and I just used a ring connector.

Here is a picture of mine. The blue wire is for the tach. The three spade connectors on the right lower are the normal ones (2 x 12V and the battery light). Your mileage may vary.

tach.jpg

as above, should be a small black cover over a 10mm nut IIRC, certainly was on my 100amp Marelli, my rev counter trigger wire is the yellow one , [the unconnected blue spade is meant to be like that] in this pic of my alt. :i-m_so_happy:

IMG_1215.jpg

Edited by western

Guest dew110CSW

This is a mod I was planning at some stage, may I ask where you got the tachometer from, and an idea of cost.

Also, if anyone knows where the Redline for a 19J diesel is, it'd be helpful.

This is a mod I was planning at some stage, may I ask where you got the tachometer from, and an idea of cost.

Also, if anyone knows where the Redline for a 19J diesel is, it'd be helpful.

lots of info here for your engine the connections will be similar, my rev counter is a LR genuine item part number AMR5724 as used in the V8 50th 90's.

top revs for a 19J 2.5TD engine is 4000 rpm says Defender workshop manual, but 3800rpm is probably more like max revs.

Are u SURE it hasn't got a W terminal? All 300Tdi Marelli ones I've seen have the terminal. It is at the 7 o clock postion when viewed from the rear. It may be covered with a plastic black cover.

To back up Simon have a look at the photo on the following page. The alternator on my 300Tdi Defender was actually 65amp and not 100 as quoted in the text.

http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/revcounter/index.htm

Colin

Guest dew110CSW
lots of info here for your engine the connections will be similar, my rev counter is a LR genuine item part number AMR5724 as used in the V8 50th 90's.

top revs for a 19J 2.5TD engine is 4000 rpm says Defender workshop manual, but 3800rpm is probably more like max revs.

Thanks, I shalt look into this when funds are a little less bleak.

Guest dew110CSW

I assume 52mm is to fit in the smaller spaces in the LR Dash? I was thinking of getting one mounted alongside it between the dash and the radio as I don't want to have to fiddle with everything in the dash.

Yep, 52mm will sit right next to the speedo, I had a move around of gauges, a 80mm [large] will interfere with the underscreen vent handle on your side, a single 52mm pod on top of dash would be OK.

Gents,

Thanks SO much!!!!

I really wasn't expecting such a high level of responses. I'm very much in debt to you all!!

I've looked at the back of my alternator and, yes, it does have the black cover at 7 o'clock, so I'll take that off and have a peek.

The gauge comes from Croytec (www.croytec.co.uk) and costs £95 including full wiring harness. It's a VDO unit and has the same graphics as the other gauges in the dash.

Inclidentally, John at Croytec was telling me a few days ago that he's going to be issuing a non-digital EGT gauge very soon. Nice dial with a needle and numbers.

He's also got a gauge hood which can be fitted in place of the ashtray. Takes 3 gauges or nine switches.

Once again, many, many thanks to you all!!

BigSi110

Does the VDO tacho you got from Croytec have a part number? The one I got from Lowtension (now no longer in existence?) is as follows

VDO cockpit vision Tachometer electric

333 015 009 K

Just wondering if they are supplying the same part. The Europaspares one is listed as 333 015 010 K

Colin

Colin,

I honestly don't know as I didn't look. I will tonight and let you know.

It may help that VDO supply most gauges for LR anyway, so this matches with the graphics very well. The only detail anomalie is that the needle is red, whereas all the others are white.

The gauge comes with either red or green illumination.

Check with John at Croytec. You can email him at john@croytec.co.uk.

Regards,

Simon

Yep, you're right.

I spoke to John at Croytec about this last week. He's bringing out a 'normal' EGT gauge with a dial and needle early 2007.

When the pennies count to the right amount, I'll be having one of those myself.

Yep, you're right.

I spoke to John at Croytec about this last week. He's bringing out a 'normal' EGT gauge with a dial and needle early 2007.

When the pennies count to the right amount, I'll be having one of those myself.

Like one of these.....about £190........

http://www.matzker.de/index.php?cPath=30_25

Jon.

IU've just done the same, purchased a VDO tachometer. The wiring diag isn't very clear for Diesel. I'm assuming the W wire goes to the connecter marked 2 on the back of the gauge. Not being a leccy sort of person I don't want to blow it up before I get to see it working.

Many thanks