Oil pressure light

reb78

Mileage on my engine is unknown. It's done 60k with me, I think I was told 90k when I bought it, but I've since found things that make me doubt anything I was told when I bought the engine. So, I reckon it's at least 150k. I think I've only noticed this light on all starts recently, it used to only do this on first start after a service.

I suppose I should plumb in a pressure gauge really then I will know what's going on for sure.

This can sometimes be caused by using cheap oil-filters - inside the filter there are several valves, one closes when the engine's stationary to stop the oil in the filter syphoning back into the sump.

Cheap filters sometimes miss this valve out to save money - then when you start the engine the oil-pump has to first refill the filter before the oil pressure builds up and oil can start circulating in the engine proper.

Try fitting a new, reputable oil filter.

Also, a slightly worn oil-pump can cause a similar effect - an excessive gap in the rotors can let the oil drain out - then the pump needs a few rotations to prime itself when the engine's started.

I think I have a genuine filter on there, I will check. It's definitely branded if not (I.e.mahle or similar)... Of course knowing my luck I've been ripped off with a lookalike and it's actually a malhe, or rand lover brand and I haven't noticed! Next service is coming up so will change it then for sure.

If it is oil pump wear, is this something that will normally deteriorate and really require rectification some time soon? Or once it's primed, are they normally fine?

If the pump's a bit worn, it can drain-down so needs to re-prime each time the engine starts. A worn pump will likely give slightly lower overall oil pressure - but to be honest an engine can run like this for ages without getting spectacularly worse.

As a matter of course if I'e got an engine partially dismantled I'll replace the oil-pump while I'm in there - it's a cheap item. Equally, if an engine's ever damaged a bearing (even just badly scored shells, with the crank being OK) I'll put a new oil pump in because you can't tell what damage bits of bearing material will have caused if they did get into the pump.

I'd suggest your strategy of doing an oil-change with a new, good-brand filter is the first step - then see how it goes! You may well be good for another 100,000 miles!

If oil pressure at start up is a concern. .. why not fit an additional switch on the live to the stop solenoid. .. (potential anti theft addition too)...

That way you could crank the engine for a while from cold without fuel. .. allowing pressure to build. .. then glick the switch and away you go. ...

Mileage on my engine is unknown. It's done 60k with me, I think I was told 90k when I bought it, but I've since found things that make me doubt anything I was told when I bought the engine. So, I reckon it's at least 150k. I think I've only noticed this light on all starts recently, it used to only do this on first start after a service.

I suppose I should plumb in a pressure gauge really then I will know what's going on for sure.

If you want a pressure gauge I have one here (new) that you can have for £15 + the Postage. Its a proper 12V 52mm illuminated Durite one still in blister pack. Like this LINK I bought it when I had pressure problems. Thought the sender was duff so changed that, still had problem so renewed wiring, still had problem so changed gauge, still had problem so put old gauge back in, still had problem so rethought and changed sender again with a different one and it worked! Seems there's a need for matched senders! Duh! So nothing wrong with it, you'll just need to get the correct sender for it. Which is this: LINK

Cool. Thanks. Will start there.

Just out of interest - oil pump on a 200tdi - is this engine out because of the ladder frame?

Don't think so - I was going to do it, so looked into it. Unbolt sump pan & remove, replace temporarily a few bolts to retain ladder frame, then undo pump assembly and replace gears and plunger/spring. Apparently the kit from Turners is the thing to get as its really good quality. However speaking with Freda at Turners she says they find 200tdi pumps have exceptionally long lives.

Cool. Thanks. Will start there.

Just out of interest - oil pump on a 200tdi - is this engine out because of the ladder frame?

No, just whip the sump off but leave the ladder in place - the pump sits beneath it.

200 shares the same pump as the 12J and 19J, and as far as I know, the 10J 2.25nad and the 2.25 and 2.5 petrols.

The fault is likely to be worn main shaft shells, not the pump, but you can give it a go. Replacing the shells isn't expensive and can be done with the crank and engine in place, though the top rear shell is a bit tricky because the gearbox shaft is holding the back end of the crank up tight. You should be able to drift it around, though, and get the new one in with a spray of light oil to help it in. Just be very gently with the drifts (soft) on the new upper shells.

My 200 has about a 2 sec delay on the light from cold but after that is instant . It's been like this for most of the 10years I've had it and has 45-50psi oil pressure at 2500rpm when hot and about 15psi at tickover , adding the mileage from it's previous life it totals 220k. Having the gauge is a must for me , it allows you to establish whats normal

cheers

Steveb