Electrical/earth point problems 200TDI

Can anyone help with locating the earth points on a 200TDI.

I have the battery earthed to the gearbox alloy case, but I am unable to find the earth from the engine/transmission to the body/chassis :( .

There is no earth strap from any of the starter motor bolts :huh: .

Symptoms are (first time) start from cold the charge light dose not always go out and the lights are some times a little dim, this is until engine speed is increased a few hundred RPM.

After this the charge light remains extinguished and the lights are bright regardless of engine speed or whether the engine is stopped and restarted.

The charge circuit from the alternator to the battery also checks out ok.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

Sort the earths out - they'll cause mucho grief if they're dodgy. Will only cost a few quid.

Earth the battery to the chassis - normal point is on the rear trailing arm mount on the nearside of a 90.

Earth the alternator to somewhere on the chassis - means you won't get earth related charging problems.

Factory engine earth strap is IIRC on the nearside of the block - it will be an open braided cable to the engine mount I think.

There should be a earth cable from the engine block to the chassis at the left engine mounting, the cable should bypass the rubber mount & another earth from the starter battery to the gearbox casing, I've just taken 3 pics of the earth cables on my 200Tdi 110 for you.

rear of alternator/power steering pump mount end of earth cable [see next pic for other end]

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

battery -ve earth cable to gearbox end

IMG_1221.jpg

hope they help, can add part numbers if wanted :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by western

just for info, I discovered that there wasn't always an earth fitted from the starter to the chassis. mine wasn't and I had this discussion when I first got the defender and several others said there wasn't always one. I fitted one anyway, about £4 at a local car spares place.

Jas

• 4 years later...

Wondered where is was I have a issue where driving though a puddle (deep-ish) causes the battery light to flicker so suspected the earth strap, I have one I brought for an car about 12 years ago and never used think I will bung that on as it's large gauge.

Wondered where is was I have a issue where driving though a puddle (deep-ish) causes the battery light to flicker so suspected the earth strap, I have one I brought for an car about 12 years ago and never used think I will bung that on as it's large gauge.

I've found its well worth putting on extra ones if you have them lying around, mine is earthed multiple times now and all the flickering light problems I got with the car have gone (touch wood)!

Edit: Yes your problem is almost certainly the slipping belt if the puddle is deep enough to touch it.

I've found its well worth putting on extra ones if you have them lying around, mine is earthed multiple times now and all the flickering light problems I got with the car have gone (touch wood)!

Edit: Yes your problem is almost certainly the slipping belt if the puddle is deep enough to touch it.

Oh ok (thanks both of you) should be easy fix then, makes sense as the fan belt was replace the day I went up to see it with a brand new one, will tighten it up then, it's a normal moving bracket type alternator on a 110 isn't it? Surprised I have had no squealing from it?

Thanks!

it's a normal moving bracket type alternator on a 110 isn't it? Surprised I have had no squealing from it?

Thanks!

Its pretty normal for it to slip a little in my experience when wet, but can't hurt to check its tight enough. On a 200tdi it should just be a tensioning bolt so pretty straightforward.