6. Moment of no return - glue and rivets
Everything glued and riveted at the same time to provide a continuous seal.
I left as many of the original tub strengthening ribs in place and used these as the rivet points.
At this point I found more corrosion where the wing stay is mounted back to the tub. Why landrover?! 😭
Ground back and fixed with fiberglass. I'm sure this is terrible for many reasons but I had zero aluminium left and no money to buy more.
I used some Dynamat as a barrier between the roll cage support bracket and underside of tub - plus a lot more CT-1.
The more eagle eyed will notice the smaller bolt in the rollcage bracket. In my sleep deprived stupidity I matched the rivnut to the existing hole. I then picked up the actual bolt and realised my mistake. (I'm currently replacing the tubular outrigger on both sides so now I have space to get the drill in and replace it with the correct size)
7. Seatbelt bracket and trim
Seatbelt brackets were a bit of a pain. I used a thread extension and an outer sleeve to clamp the bottom of the bracket through the tub. The stock bolt in the corner of the tub isn't long enough otherwise. Other than that, bolted them in at the top and cut the trim while trying to keep as much of it as possible for a factory look.
8. More sound deadening, insulation and carpet.
The roof was done with dynamat xtreme and dodomat 6mm super liner. I kept it thin as I was worried about the headliner not having enough clearance.
Sides and roof above the front cab were done with more dynamat and yoga mats spray glued in place.
tub was done with generic 10mm closed cell self adhesive foam from ebay.
The 4 way stretch van liner was the cheapest stuff I could find on ebay. At this point all the monies were properly gone.
9. Tub Floor
Here I used the last of the dynamat xtreme with the oem rubber liner on top. The tub insert was cut down to clear the seat brackets and rear threshold strip repaired.
10. And Done!
Took on a small test drive. No more rattles, no noise from the rear tub at all even on gravel. Usually the sound of gravel hitting the underside of the wheel arch was pretty deafening.
As I mentioned earlier - I noticed the rear tubular outriggers were heavily corroded. The one pictured is the GOOD ONE. On the other side the underside of the tube is gone.
Naturally the seatbox sides are also rotted through, sills, fuel tank, front seatbelt brackets, door strike plates, front of rear tub where it meets the outrigger - also gone.
Footwell, bulkhead and the list goes on. Payday came and went and now I'm waiting on a delivery of fresh metal, a budget MIG, as well as various Dinitrol products.
The adventure continues. Bit shell shocked but being thrown in at the deep end I think I can at least say that I float. Now just need to learn how to swim (and weld)