I hope that this may help anyone else with a similar problem.
There could be several other causes of the park mode not working on the Freelander wipers but this was what I found and how I cured it.
My Freelander is a 2005 3 door but I'm sure that this should apply to most Freelander 1's but at you own risk etc...
The park facility didn't work either when the wipers were operated on intermittant, wash, single wipe etc..
The motor is located directly infront of the driver side on a RHD Freelander.
First of all I removed the wiper arms, 2 push in caps removed with a thin bladed screwdriver then a 13mm socket to remove the nuts holding the wiper arms. They are different so don't mix them !
Next you need to remove 3 retaining clips, easiest way I found was to just screw a small self tapping screw in the end until was finger tight and then gently pull it out with the middle of the fixing attached.
Pull off the rubber trim under the bonnet which is also holding the plastic trim in place. Carefully remove trim panel.
After reading a few reports and comments I decided to check that power was getting to the motor park connectors. I picked out some of the potting compound to check on the terminals that the voltage was switching when it should and it was !!
If you are not too confident with a multimeter I would get a friend to do the tests, nothing complicated but help is always useful.
At that point it was looking like a £60 touch on fleabay for a new motor but I thought that may as well try something else, whats the worse that can happen, I will still need a new motor...
I decided that as the motor was riveted it would require the heads drilling out to allow the cover plate to come off. I drilled out the empty unused holes in the motor to take some selftapping screws I had to hand, no point taking it to bits if I couldn't get it back together again.
After gently lifting the cover plate I found this,
It looks like the motor had become very hot, maybe someone had tried to use the wipers when they were frozen to the screen and the high current taken had caused the disc to melt as the wipe contact on the wiper motor had got VERY hot.
Nothing for it but to clean of the lump of plastic so it was at least fairly flat
and then reform the wipe contact so it could slide freely over the disc.
It was then just a case of reasembling the motor with the screws I had tried earlier
Refill the potting compound with some sealer and test with one wiper arm fitted.
All was well, so re assemble in reverse order of when you took it to bits, check all is well and go and have a cuppa.... Thinking all along that you have just save yourself at least £60 for 20 minutes work.