Jump to content


Long Term Forum Financial Supporter
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Snagger last won the day on December 19 2018

Snagger had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

310 Excellent

1 Follower

About Snagger

  • Rank
    Old Hand

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Location

Previous Fields

  • Interests
    Aviation, militaria, sub aqua, sci-fi

Recent Profile Visitors

2,780 profile views
  1. Snagger

    300tdi’s heating

    Check the coolant hoses for unevenness, swelling and excessive softness - one may have delaminated internally and blocked coolant flow. Then consider the pump - it's not unknown for the impeller to slip or separate from the drive shaft, but you'll only know by removing it.
  2. Snagger

    GKN Overdrive Strip Down

    What is that? It looks like it could be broken up sealant. Was it you who has to encase the sensor in epoxy due to a broken plastic casing? Any of that on the clutch packs or in the solenoid system could cause slipping.
  3. Snagger

    Which shock absorbers

    When I bought my TIC (aka Heystee) parabolics from Chris Perfect, they came with Pro-Comp ES3000s. They were too soft for a regular vehicle, only useful for an offroading toy or maybe a vehicle that is kept empty. If you carry any load, then 9000s are a better rate, but are slightly firm unless very heavy. However, Pro-Comp quality is poor. Expect rapid rusting of the main body as the paint is cheap, and if you fit the rubber boots over the piston, expect piston rust within a couple of years that will erode the seals to cause leaks within a few years. They are supposedly guaranteed for the lifetime of the vehicle, and Perfect did replace those that failed, but he later retired and the subsequent failure had to be paid for - just try getting another trader to honour the warranty of a product sold through another party! I'll never fit Pro-Comps again.
  4. Snagger

    Piston rings

    You can only measure the gap objectively with the ring in the bore. As the outer circumference wears (as appears to be the case with the old ring), the gap will grow.
  5. Snagger

    Worth a punt? LED Headlamps

    The rules are there for good reason. "I didn't think I'd be caught" is not much of a legal defence if you are, and bad lights could be the cause of an accident that results in a close inspection of the car.
  6. Snagger

    A cautionary tale

    likewise. It's a shame they don't use a piece of ply to protect the face in the packaging.
  7. Snagger

    200 TDI engine sump - Gasket or RTV?

    Did you let the sealant dry for a few minutes before fitting the sump, Tim? Few do, but RTV is supposed to be let semi-cure before fitting the parts to prevent it from being squeezed out of the joint.
  8. Snagger

    GKN Overdrive Strip Down

    Some fibreglass exhaust wrap around the near section of exhaust will sort that, or a heat shield like John suggested. I know a lot o people don't like wrap because it can hold moisture and cause rust, but if the pipe section is clean of rust and given a decent coat of high temperature paint, it should be fine - I haven't had any rust appear on my down pipe in the decade it has been wrapped, possibly because of the paint layers I gave it.
  9. Snagger

    Sunroof rebuild

    I salute your persistence and patience!
  10. Snagger

    Steering cowl shroud twisted

    With the cowl straight, the ignition switch is well out of position. I suspect the column is misaligned.
  11. Snagger

    GKN Overdrive Strip Down

    Cutting and welding would work, but it's got to be easier and more reliable to fit a spacer, even if that means the GKN sump is in the way if you need to drop the 230 sump. Given the expense of the GKN and its oil issues, and the expense you've gone to with the new sump, it'd be a shame to lose that little bit of capacity and run the risk of cracks and leaks.
  12. Snagger

    GKN Overdrive Strip Down

    That's a big lump, but the oil capacity is probably quite small and so it won't make a great deal of difference. Still, being so small and the GKN so oil sensitive, and the 230 so robust and having so much more oil, I'd look to trim the 230 sump. How about making a spacer neck that would be sandwiched between sump and overdrive to drop the sump down? It'd further increase oil capacity, too, and need only be a sheet (or two) of ali cut to size with the bolt hols drilled. That would be the simplest, neatest and most reliable solution.
  13. Snagger

    Steering cowl shroud twisted

    Peaklander's point about the ignition switch mounting and steering lock is a good one - if you put the cowl screw into the bottom of the lock clamp, is the screw 90 degrees to the dash or is it pointing towards the door sill? It should be vertical from the driving seat perspective, and if it is pointing to the side, the column must have rotated but if vertical the column must be correct.
  14. Snagger

    United States Rangers Special Operations Vehicle

    Similar, but not as robust as the WMIK: http://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/collection/military/a-e-wimik-lhd-demonstrator#v
  15. Snagger

    Steering cowl shroud twisted

    If the indicator bracket's spline is sitting correctly in the column's groove, then the column must have rotated in its clamps. You'll need to slacken the clamps on the engine side of the bulkhead and look for distortion and adjustment on the clamp at the bottom of the column (above the toe of the foot well).

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy