Funds/donations/cash

white90

I'd be more than happy to make a donation by whatever means, as someone else wrote, I've saved a fortune in repair bills as a result of what I've learned from other members!

Perhaps, as a way of helping us gauge what would be reasonable, you could give some indication as to what it costs to run the forum as I, for one, have no idea. How about: it costs £NN per year, we have NN members so if everyone donated £NN it would cover the costs? Clearly, some of us will be able to afford more than others, which is fine, but at least everyone has an idea how much is needed.

It's only a suggestion......

Phil.

Yup, you have my support, BUT can we please make sure the forum maintains the same atmosphere? i.e, ORRP isORRP and a jolly fine place :unsure: it is to, but LRA must stay as polite as it was "before"....... am I making any sense? :wacko:

And me. I don't understand paypal, but I too have a chq book.

An idea of costs would be good, Eg how much it costs to run per month.

[Thinking out loud] If it was £50 per month, that's £600 per year. with 150 members that's less than a £5 each. [/Thinking out loud]

Fi - even if in future we have to pay for hosting, the package I'm hosting this on (which includes quite a few features that wouldn't be needed for just the forum) costs only $17/month (~£10) if you commit for a two year stretch. On top of that you've got domain name renewals (~£20/year) and possibly a one off charge or subscription for a sofware license (but that could be avoided).

So it's more like £12/month, which with our current 160 members works out at 7.5p/month each :D

Bargain!

Whatever the cost it will be worth it to be independent........

No more pussy footing around sensitive magazine advertiser issues or for that matter sponsers in general...........

I agree keep it civil as before but i'm sure the mods will see to that :lol:

Grannies and eggs and all that, but just make sure your bandwidth is upto it....also disk space...I've got 10gb of space, using approx 2gb of it at the moment..used that amount in 10 month

But for people who donate to my site I allocate them extra features like a picture gallery where they can store there images...also access to an online video section.

Most bandwidth in one month was 32gb, My package gives me 100gb so room to breath yet...

I'm getting around 600 - 720 thousand hits a month

I second Dave on remaining independent :P .

Added bonus is that the savings on advertizer's graphics makes the forum faster. the main reason I spend less time over at Difflock is the fact that it is SOOOOO SLOW ! :( .

Many members here have also stated that the new format avoids them sticking out like sore thumbs at work which will make the forum more user friendly and more active (I'd hate to be their bosses :angry: ) Any sponsor is going to want banners that will spoil this.

Now that we have accumulated a large membership, thanks to the old home :D (all said and done one must be gratefull for some things), we don't need the backing of a sponsor.

Adam :D

It is much faster than Difflock and noticeably faster than LRE on here - good for me!

I second the no-adverts thing, adverts will probably cost me more in dialup charges than a sub will and I know who I'd rather pay the money to :D

One other way if people don't want to use Paypal - or don't want Paypal to take commission would be simple bank transfer to a forum account. I'm sure I've used this in the past (can't remember what for though).

If this is going to last then keep it free from outside influence - ie advertisers, sponsors and the like.

The web is plenty big enough for two good forums - the well behaved family lounge bar and the bloke's local if you get my drift.

I know ORRP is not to everyones taste but the main reason it is so successful is the independance and fair mindedness of it's moderation. Plus a great bunch of members of course. ;)

I have a Paypal account already setup to receive donations. I won't mention the address here yet, because there's no need for anyone to donate yet.

I would propose that a bank account is opened by the treasurer (whoever we decide that will be), that will receive postal donations and also receive transferred monies from the Paypal account.

There are plenty of free-to-run bank accounts out there. I personally use First Direct; it is totally free to run (no charges for DDs, SOs, transfers etc), the account can be accessed by phone or interent 24 x 7 x 365, and a side-kick savings account can be opened as well (just a phone call). (might as well gather interest on monies not yet called upon)

While I'm a fan or First Direct (the first to offer all these advantages) I know that these days there are lots of similar accounts available.

However, there's no need to worry about money yet - there's roughly two months before anymore costs are incurred. I'm doing research on it and it is looking like the costs won't be too heavy in any case. :D

Edited by Bigfoot

I don't post that often but think contribution, rather than sponsorship is the way to go.

A completely independant, polite forum would be great.

We all know some companies overcharge or produce rubbish and it would be nice to be able to post honest posts that do not need editing as they offend a sponsor.

Richard :)

Ribnet is a similar concept. See here:- http://www.rib.net/forum/

It's a site for RIB (ridgid inflatable boats) addicts and appears to have members who are committed to their ribbing interests and are very friendly and helpful towards each other.

It started for free and once well established with a strong independent following began to charge on a tiered basis dependent on type of usage.

Have a look at their membership and pricing model and see if it is of interest for the future.

John