Salisbury Brake Disc Conversion

d-90

Hi,

Any cheap solutions to convert rear Defender drum brake Salisbury to disc? Have looked at Zeus conversion, but way to expensive.

There is a bolt-on bracket used on Sallisbury axles to hold the caliper FTC3306. The caliper is the same as a 90/110/Rangey rear STC1268 & STC1269.

If you can weld, cut & cut threads, the bracket would be straightforward to fabricate.

You can use a Range Rover rear hub, although the disk will not line up with the caliper exactly. You can space the disk away from the hub a little with washers to make it fit.

Apparently not hard to do.

Si

Hi,

Any cheap solutions to convert rear Defender drum brake Salisbury to disc? Have looked at Zeus conversion, but way to expensive.

Diesel_Jim knows about this job, he's in the process of doing it, & I'm collecting the parts to swap mine to rear disc.

Guest diesel_jim

Yeah, i must get it done! (you saw the axle gathering dust in my garage Ralph! :rolleyes: )

I'll try and do one side this week and post some pictures up. like simon says, it's just a nut and bolt job, if you collect all the relavent bits together.

Yeah, i must get it done! (you saw the axle gathering dust in my garage Ralph! :rolleyes: )

I'll try and do one side this week and post some pictures up. like simon says, it's just a nut and bolt job, if you collect all the relavent bits together.

Cummon Jim...this could make you a real star in the publics eye!

I've heard tonnes of peole say that it's possible to do and yet I've never seen an article written by someone who's actually done it!

I myself would like to give it a go on my 130...but getting the parts via the breakers is a pain. Perhaps you could picture and cataloge the relevant bits before fitting and then add some simple text to the procedure?

Ralf will provide all of the part numbers.....won'tcha Ralph!

Thanks and regards.

S.

Yes its entirely possible using bolt on parts.

You need a pair of rear caliper carrier brackets - they're about £25 each and arent worth making yourself!

Calipers, hubs disks etc are all the same as on a rangie so easy peasy.

I've converted the rear axle on my series to disks in this way.

Jon

There is a bolt-on bracket used on Sallisbury axles to hold the caliper FTC3306. The caliper is the same as a 90/110/Rangey rear STC1268 & STC1269.

If you can weld, cut & cut threads, the bracket would be straightforward to fabricate.

You can use a Range Rover rear hub, although the disk will not line up with the caliper exactly. You can space the disk away from the hub a little with washers to make it fit.

Apparently not hard to do.

Si

Instead of spacing the disc out with washers(a bit dodgy IMHO), mill 6mm off one side off the mounting bracket, or just buy late 110 rear calipers.