What to look for when buying a Disco?

Godlykepower

I have been out of the family for a few years, since I stupidly sold my rather lovely Defender...a move I have regretted ever since.

I'm looking at coming back to LR ownership, but everything seems so different to me now, especially regarding prices, and I can't justify spending what I would have to, to replace what I once had, so I'm thinking getting a Discovery might be more realistic?

My Defender was a 300Tdi, an engine that I loved. I'd ideally want something with a bit lower mileage than all the 300's I see on eBay, leading me to think a TD5 is my best bet?

Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is my thinking alright? What sort of things should I be looking for? I know chassis termites can be quite spectacular in Discovery's, but in what areas exactly? Is chassis rot always terminal in these models, or can something be done to arrest development of rot, and/or repairs done that are economically viable?

What else do I look for? 

You can buy replacement galvanised chassis for the Discovery II, so a bad chassis on an otherwise good vehicle isn't a problem if you don't mind a bit of work or are willing to pay someone to do it for you.  The good news is that while the DII chassis is far more rust prone than the DI's, the inner body shell of the DII is much, much more resilient than the DI or RRC, and the TD5 pulls like a train compared to the Tdi.

My personal preference would be to hold on until a really tidy well looked after 300 turned up.  You'll find a really good 300 still commands a higher price than an average td5 and if you can get one you should rustproof it before you spend money on anything else.

Rust really will be the biggest thing to contend with.  On a 300, you'll have to get on your back and check every inch front to back, at the age they are now, even the chassis' are starting to go on a lot of them.  Traditionally the whole body would rot but the chassis would survive.  Inner wings, sills, rear wheel arches, boot floors and check for lumps (rust swelling) under the alpine window rubbers.

TD5, give a good look over the body but as said they seem to be pretty good for rust.  The chassis, i'd start at the rear end and have a look for swelling round the fuel tank (look up alongside the tank and see if the chassis is pushed hard against the tank).  This seems to be where the rot starts and if it's bad there you can guarantee the rest won't be far behind.

Otherwise it's a personal preference thing but bear in mind, repairs to a TD5 seem to be much more costly, cylinder heads are 4x the price of 300's, wheel bearings similar story and ACE and air suspension add costly complication. On the plus side they do drive a little nicer and if the chassis is good when you buy, it's a lot easier to keep on top of rust when you only have the chassis to contend with and not all the nooks and crannies of the bodywork.

I'd look for a relatively decent 300. TO be honest the drive train is more important than the steel work as it all weldable and there a some good companies - like YRM around to supply panels. The Disco 2 TD5 is a constant money pit - it will always bite the hand that feeds...

Come to Australia for a holiday and buy one here, very few Australian Discos have any rust problems, the average price for a Discovery 300Tdi 1997-1999 would be about AUD$3000. Buy one, drive it on a touring holiday enjoy it and then ship it back to the UK. 

About AUD$3000 is £1775 in the UK today, but then there's the additional shipping cost back to the UK to take into account, which won't be cheap, plus cost of getting to Australia in the first place and not every Brit will want to holiday in Australia... so an  expensive D 1 it seems.

No all D1s in the UK suffer from corrosion, some have had a cherished life, I know of one. :D

My 200!  Mind I was out in the Mpi last night experimenting with the limits of handling. I will admit to driving quite rapidly - even to the point of giving a young chap in a D5 a surprise. The Mpi needed a fair bit of metal replaced for it's MoT, but it's all relatively straightforward. Huge fun to drive mind. Don't drop below 2k and it raises big smiles