3.9efi cuts out when accelerating hard

Chris Abel

I’ve just bought a 3.9efi RRC with 135000 miles on the clock and it runs well and accelerates well until you put you foot all the way to the floor, it cuts out like its running out of fuel, if I back off slightly it accelerates again like normal. Why do you think its cutting out at full throttle?

Ignition perhaps, could also be a fuelling problem - throttle position sensor springs to mind. Fuel pump, fuel pressure relief valve... well, the list is long with Hotwire :(

I was thinking it could be the throttle position sensor, im going to give it a good service, at the weekend i was thinking about put a new cam, tappets and timing chain in too considering the engine has done 135k

Real Steel are your top bet, my vote would be a "Stump Puller" cam kit (low down torque not ultimate BHP, real steel sell some race-oriented stuff). They do loads of other lovely goodies, if you're having the heads off then a head stud kit is groovy, you don't need the outer row so the ~£80 version (AZ480) is the one.

Their rubber rocker cover gaskets (AZ656) are supposedly the dogs danglies (I'm about to find out with the 4.6 :D ).

Just a thought - the symptoms remind me of old carbed lumps with blocked fuel filters... on paper it sounds like a fuel starvation prob.

But then on paper is nothing like first hand :rolleyes:

It could be that to, ive got the parts sorted out to service the engine and ive also got a new high compresion cam kit on the way. So this weekend ill get stuck in and find the fault. hopefully it will be nice and simple ;) so i can get on with chopping :D the back end off.

Which cam kit did you go for?

BTW I could have sworn I asked where do I find Real Steel?

after a quick google found the following:-

Real Steel

V8 Engines & performance parts

Telephone and fax

Tel: (01895) 440505

Fax: (01895) 422047

Address

Unit 9 Tomo Industrial Estate

Packet Boat Lane Uxbridge

Middlesex

UB8 2JP

they don't appear to have a website.

HTH

Pete.

Their catalogue should come with a medical warning, ooooh the shiny loveliness of horsepower...

yeah were I an evil villian I'd stroke horsepower as my evil pet, Blofeld style

Real Steel seem to be at www.realsteel.co.uk but there doesn't seem to be a Rover V8 section - not obvious anyway.

Don't you guys rate RPi? The RP4 cam kit is supposed to be good for the RaRo - is that not so?

RPi are sort-of OK but a bit nuts - they charge lots of money for stuff that's not anything special. I'm sure the stuff they sell does the job, but they always try to sell you stuff THEY want to sell, rather than telling you what you actually need. OK they're not in business to spread love, but they do lay heavy on the sales of stuff that's not necessarily worth it.

Steve Lund has been fairly comprehensively outed as useless and worse on ORRP.com.

Real steel have always talked straight when I've spoken to them and supply companies like RPi wholesale anyway.

:lol: lol at the words 'nice' and 'Tdi' used in conjunction :D

Seriously though I'd love a diesel lump, a V8 diesel lump from a Scania or something :ph34r: I even want to get myself trained up as a D engineer :huh:

But you're not doing it right if you don't have yo D running Biodiesel or Voil - My Rangie (and pretty much everything else I get from here in will do. And if you're eco conscience doesn't bother you then just look at it financially...

OK this has been a gratuitous use of smilies I need to go rest ;)

Too many emotions

Is that one of the lovely simple waterproof diesels that blows head gaskets, warps cylinder heads, snaps cambelts and only manages a few MPG more than a V8? :ph34r:

Seriously, I've noticed at club meets that the guys with TDi's are always talking about engine problems and the V8 owners' only setbacks (puddles) can be solved with WD40 or a bit of waterproofing.

Is that one of the lovely simple waterproof diesels that blows head gaskets, warps cylinder heads, snaps cambelts and only manages a few MPG more than a V8? :ph34r:

Seriously, I've noticed at club meets that the guys with TDi's are always talking about engine problems and the V8 owners' only setbacks (puddles) can be solved with WD40 or a bit of waterproofing.

Nice one Fridge!

PMSL :hysterical::hysterical: