It only wants a small patch...

discomikey

Lucky I enjoy welding isn't it ? after writing off my green 51 plate d2 I acquired a rather smart looking red one. Not quite so tidy underneath! 

I bought it with the thinking that my forte is not bodywork but I can squeeze the odd pidgoen here and there. 

Bottom, inside and top skins are all knackered on the left hand side and the inside skin wants work on the right hand side. Ran out of 1.0mm mig wire though so only managed to get half the left hand side done so far. 

20161226_202606-1612x1209.jpg

20161226_202600-1612x1209.jpg

20161227_143139-1612x1209.jpg

20161227_143148-1612x1209.jpg

20161227_143218-1612x1209.jpg

It's quite a common thing for the D2 to rot badly in this area. It's down to the design of the 4 internal stiffeners which trap moisture and then they flake from the inside out and burst open.  

Thanks. It's not my best but then again it's not exactly clean new steel either. 

To be fair a lot of the credit has to go to my machine! If I had used my old 150 a SIP welder it might have looked half as good. And I've learned the hard way that just trying to get away with a small patch is never going to get the best results you really do need to cut right back to solid steel. And clean it really well!

I did pay a price though. I managed to give ,myself a black eye on my right eye by dropping the half full fuel tank onto my face, I got arc eye bad in both eyes from a moment of stupidity, and had a trip to the emergency room 2 days later for the nice nurse to dig some steel out of my left eye with a needle. Not nice! I was wearing glasses too ! :blink:

Oh, and I sliced 2 fingers with the grinder 

I've had arc eye ( excessive ultra violet light in the eyes), exposed 2 knuckle joints and split the tendon on my index finger on my left hand, plus got scaringly close to castrating myself with burst grinding and cutting discs, A welding spark in the ear is something I have experienced quite a few times :)

Les.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish my agricultural welding was that pretty. 

I had one trip to A&E to have metal removed from my eye, happily after my panic about the anaesthetic (eye drops not the huge needle I was imagining) the nurse lifted it out on a swab and I've dropped a running grinder in my chest after it locked on the chassis and was ripped from my hands.  I didn't know I could move that quick to get it off and after checking to see if my lungs were exposed I wandered in to the kitchen to show the wife the tattered fabric of my covvies, who for some reason she didn't see the funny side....women!!