Timing

dangerous doug

Basic issue I know but I'm getting nowhere

I have used a piston stop tool to find TDC and to my surprise both marks are evenly spaced between the TDC mark on the pulley. So I'm now struggling to see why I need so much advance on my spark settings

the guy who looked at it first "aligned" the triggerwheel and pulley TDC in megatune but it never ran right after he messed with it. From his adjustment I kept advancing until it detted(it never did) but I've  got to 30° and thought I should re evaluate.

im now using tuner studioMS which I find is a bit more user friendly and this is what my baisic spark settings look like

IMG_4863.JPG

(forgive the phone photo, my laptop isn't connected to a network)

now he has set it with the FIXED ANGLE setting which is where I have kept going from but a read up on various timing posts suggests that I should be advancing TRIM ANGLE however when I do this it will not rev as nicely and the temp creeps up like it has severely retarded timing. 

The timing light is absolutly no help at the moment as I say, if I set it to 8° BTDC it doesn't want to run right. Is this because I should be setting TRIM and not FIXED ANGLE?

IMG_4874.JPG

pic of the spark table if it helps

I am still learning, but my Spark Settings are different to yours.

In 'Fixed angle' I have -10, so that it will work from the spark table. Then I used a strobe light to check the timing was correct compared to the reading on tunerstudio, then adjusted the 'Trim' until it matched. I have '1' in the trim angle as it was pretty much correct.

Edited by quattro

the guy who looked at it first "aligned" the triggerwheel and pulley TDC in megatune but it never ran right after he messed with it

With EDIS

Set ENGINE TO TDC

SET Missing Tooth to VR Sensor, 

THEN Rotate clockwise so VR sensor is on 5th Tooth

THATS then set correctly at +50 for EDIS.

At TDC its 50 degrees out !

That make sense ????

Nige