Which anti corrosion spray

jason110

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, My D2 is testament to regularly using a simple but very effective oil spray, in my estimation (and a growing opinion) Duck Oil (marketed by  Swarfega) is superb. You hear time and time again that encapsulating corrosion behind supposedly sophisticated coatings, converters and especially wax products just excellerates the rot as moisture penetrates behind these layers. Duck Oil will stay wetted and continues to actively displace moisture, penetrate and passivate corroded surfaces for up to 12 months (although I do mine every 6 months) It's easy to apply with a garden sprayer externaly. Internal chassis and cill surfaces are even more critical as these components rot from the inside out, again Duck Oil will neutralised existing corrosion, arrest further deterioration and drive out moisture 'Chassis Wand' on eBay will atomise Duck Oil and will reach deep into the chassis (or any complex internal structure) as full coverage has to be guarenteed. This process is Simple, easy, cheap and vey very effective....unfortunately there's a lot of companies out there pushing some quite damaging products when applied over rust....in fact I recently spoken to one guy who described Waxoil as 'the silent assassin'......!!!

They are all very similar.  They are a mixture of a 'heavy' oil in a solvent.  The solvent makes the heavy oil thin enough to penetrate into small, hard to reach places, then evaporates leaving a film of the heavier oil which takes much longer to evaporate.

https://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/84-5002M.pdf

The mixtures are chosen to have high adhesion and low cohesion (low surface tension) so they flow over a surface rather than form beads which helps the penetration.

WD40 was about the first of these mixtures to achieve wide commercial success.  Which one is 'best' is I think down to fashion as much as anything. 

You can make a good version yourself by mixing EP90 with Methanol. (/ Paint thinners / Ethanol / anything that evaporates fast)  You will know from experience how long the smell of EP90 lingers - years!  The mixture is very smelly but so long as you like the smell of EP90, I reckon it beats most of the others!  You could just pick the oil or grease you do like the smell of and use that!

Si

I'm not sure it's spam as such.  For some reason people get very enthusiastic about their favorite miracle (Snake?) Oil.  You're probably all too young to remember ;) the way people raved about WD40 when it came out (or at least arrived in the UK) where now most people view it as being less special.  I guess it is as it always was with Snake Oil.

Having said that, at a show I was given a free can of 'Mechanic-All' spray.  No better than the rest, except for tapping holes in Stainless.  It's the best thing I've found!  Unfortunately, I've never managed to buy another can (but I still have the original and keep it just for that!).  So, I guess that would be my favorite Snake Oil.

Si

A cheapy,  but I quite like the hammerite underseal with waxoyl -  it's only a few quid a tin and got no scientific claims, seems to be a basic bitumen underseal with some waxoyl,  but I've been using it for years and it actually seems to work in keeping rust at bay.   Dries to quite a nice thin and even mat black finish too but not oily like pure waxoyl.  

Brushes on particularly well if the pot is warmed till it starts to turn from a stodge to a liquid.  Only really any good for external metalwork though.

On 15 January 2017 at 11:31 AM, jason110 said:

Thank you for that. Will have a look for it. Is it the sort of stuff I can get from a half decent motor factors? 

yeh ..but I get it off eBay, careful though as the price varies quite a bit from around £24 up to £35+ for a five litre can.

On 15 January 2017 at 1:04 PM, simonr said:

I'm not sure it's spam as such.  For some reason people get very enthusiastic about their favorite miracle (Snake?) Oil.  You're probably all too young to remember ;) the way people raved about WD40 when it came out (or at least arrived in the UK) where now most people view it as being less special.  I guess it is as it always was with Snake Oil.

Having said that, at a show I was given a free can of 'Mechanic-All' spray.  No better than the rest, except for tapping holes in Stainless.  It's the best thing I've found!  Unfortunately, I've never managed to buy another can (but I still have the original and keep it just for that!).  So, I guess that would be my favorite Snake Oil.

Si

Hmm....Just read my post and your right it does sound a bit nerdy...I'll go and stand in the garage for an hour?

After thinking about this for way too long too, and following this topic, I went and bought a chassis wand and a tin of duck oil.

Tonight I'll be applying it to every crack, open hole, orifice, fissure, opening, gap... I can find on the 90 and the Disco (especially keen to fill the disco sills!)... slightly sceptical on how long it will last but I figure if the space I'm spraying it is not subject to water splashing past it, then it should get washed off...

Mav

• Like 1

...I managed to fit the Wand into the small gap between the fuel tank and the boot floor panel (a common rot area) and right through the cross beams. I'm planning to get into the five doors through the water drain holes, rear door pillars and central pillars over the weekend, I'll remove some of the interior trim and commit to drilling a 5mm hole (I have some rubber plugs) high up to access the pillars and feeding the wand down, you can usually feel when it hits a dead stop...I'll let you know how I get on.