Damaged chassis

5 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Paddocks get them delivered to themselfs then dropped off on their Yard unloaded with their fork lift truck then carried 3 at a time I think into their warehouse then as they are sold they fork lift them onto the Customers / Currier's vehicle, my guess is they have dropped it somewhere between it being unloaded in their yard on arrival from marslands and it being loaded up onto the Curriers truck destin to be delivered to you, so it's Paddocks fault.

It is legally their fault regardless of when the damage happened (as long as that was prior to completion of delivery) - they have legal obligation to ensure that the product is built correctly by Marsland and is delivered safely in good order by their courier - that's how this works; the buyer's contract is with the sales company, the sales company has contracts with suppliers, shippers and so on, which are of no concern to the customer.

As many have said before it's down to Paddocks and any work that you do whilst getting frustrated with the wait would get paddocks off the hook.  The goods are unsuitable for the purpose for which they were sold.  Suggest that you go back to Paddocks quoting that and stating that their delay in remedying the situation is directly costing you money, for which, if they do not act immediately and in a responsible manner, you will be seeking appropriate compensation.  They may try and get you to seek compensation from the courier.  Don't fall for that.  The courier was contracted to Paddocks, not you.  Paddocks responsibility does not end until satisfactory goods have been delivered and accepted by you.

In defense of Paddocks, I have on two occasions received faulty goods from them, each time in a blue box!  Each time I emailed them with photos and phoned them, and one time I received a free replacement item, it was relatively low cost and not worth returning, and the other time I had a GBP55 credit and I fixed the problem locally.

On your issue, alfaman, perhaps you should not even have accepted delivery, or should have taken photos at the time of delivery.  Even so, the advice above is spot on: it is Paddock's responsibility to supply a fit for purpose item.  You presumably paid them for delivery, you didn't arrange it yourself, so it is entirely their responsibility to complete their side of the contract.  Stick to it, and don't be put off with any delaying and blame shifting tactics.

Mike

2 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

In defense of Paddocks, I have on two occasions received faulty goods from them, each time in a blue box!  Each time I emailed them with photos and phoned them, and one time I received a free replacement item, it was relatively low cost and not worth returning, and the other time I had a GBP55 credit and I fixed the problem locally.

On your issue, alfaman, perhaps you should not even have accepted delivery, or should have taken photos at the time of delivery.  Even so, the advice above is spot on: it is Paddock's responsibility to supply a fit for purpose item.  You presumably paid them for delivery, you didn't arrange it yourself, so it is entirely their responsibility to complete their side of the contract.  Stick to it, and don't be put off with any delaying and blame shifting tactics.

Mike

Mike, as the vendor, it's still their responsibility to ensure the parts they sell are fit for purpose and in the case of mail order, that they are shipped in a way that prevents any damage or loss in timely fashion.  If they chose to sell Britpart rubbish, then they should expect a lot of demands for refunds.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Mike, as the vendor, it's still their responsibility to ensure the parts they sell are fit for purpose and in the case of mail order, that they are shipped in a way that prevents any damage or loss in timely fashion.  If they chose to sell Britpart rubbish, then they should expect a lot of demands for refunds.

That's why they don't answer the phone or reply to emails Snagger  ?

Mo

So far, Paddocks still haven't got back to me, either by email or phone.

I phoned yesterday @ around 2:30 (UK time) and asked to speak to the supposed Customer Advisor Manager, that I was told its been passed on to; he's in a meeting. Ok, fine, could you please get the said person to call me back. "Ok, I'll endeavour to get him to call you" It's now 15:20 (UK time), the following day - nothing at all.

I have managed to track down the exact place these chassis are made ( GKN - in Telford) and managed to have a chat with a knowledgeable person who confirmed my suspicions with the front cross-member. It's not repairable, plain-n-simple.

Whilst waiting for Paddocks, yesterday, to phone me back. I contacted the said company that handled the delivery, here in France, and they haven't received any communication from Paddocks, either.

So, off to try to speak to 'the Manager' again.

Oh, goody. Manager isn't available today.

Was told that the information was passed yesterday and was also told that the Manager is planning to get back to me by the end of the week.

I said, I want someone tomorrow to phone me and tell me something, anything.

3 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Email them a link to this thread to show them that people are watching their response or lack of it.

I don't think thats a good idea, personally. I think most of us know who are the companies to avoid, etc.

I've used this company for many years with different Landys I've owned, even when I worked in the Middle East. I have, so far, never had an issue with getting lost, damaged or incorrect parts resolved by them, and they have done it extremely quickly.

This is, I hope so, mostly due to the worst time of the year to get things done. Everyone ceases to function properly over Xmas.

Snagger, I wouldn't mind betting you've experienced the frustrations that Ramadan causes? I know I have, and when both of them coincide, deep joy.

On 09/01/2017 at 8:37 AM, Troll Hunter said:

Mike

Acceptance of delivery isn't the issue, the delivery driver was made aware of the damages done. He took photos, he got me to say on the delivery paperwork it was damaged. I also took lots of photos of all the damages and sent them directly to Paddocks and to the delivery company in about 10 minutes after I took the photos. I had a reply the following day from Paddocks that they were sorry that there is a problem and we are looking into it.

Thats as far as it's got, so far.

Paddocks were paid for delivery and even after me explaining to Paddocks that a 40' articulated lorry would not be able to get down a Farm track, let alone turn around, they were adamant that the delivery company will deliver it in a 40' lorry. I told the delivery company to use a vehicle that was big enough for the chassis or take it back to England. That took 2 weeks to sort out, the numpty in Paddocks couldn't see that a 40' articulated lorry is both too tall and too heavy to clear the low hanging trees and drive on boggy ground. A few of my work colleagues and me still had to help the small truck manoeuvre as he was having difficulty.

In case you're wandering, the small truck was actually just big enough for the chassis and the box part was made of Aluminium. No way was the chassis going to move enough to have the damages its got to it, the chassis would've damaged the box part.

Registered mail - formal request replacement & all cost will be for the seller.

14 days response time.

Don' t touch the thing - will bite you in the back eventually.

Good luck !

Just now, Arjan said:

Registered mail - formal request replacement & all cost will be for the seller.

14 days response time.

Don' t touch the thing - will bite you in the back eventually.

Good luck !

Just doing the formal request thing, right now.

I'm not touching it, was told by the experts (GKN), so for now, its sat covered from the elements, waiting for Paddocks to pull their finger out of their ?!?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, alfaman said:

I don't think thats a good idea, personally. I think most of us know who are the companies to avoid, etc.

I've used this company for many years with different Landys I've owned, even when I worked in the Middle East. I have, so far, never had an issue with getting lost, damaged or incorrect parts resolved by them, and they have done it extremely quickly.

This is, I hope so, mostly due to the worst time of the year to get things done. Everyone ceases to function properly over Xmas.

Snagger, I wouldn't mind betting you've experienced the frustrations that Ramadan causes? I know I have, and when both of them coincide, deep joy.

It might get them to speed up their response if they know they are being watched and judged.

I have used Paddock in the past, and the biggest issue was their sending out pattern parts when genuine had been ordered.  They just don't care.

Christmas has been and gone, so their failure to get this sorted since you reported it can't be blamed on that.  I'm British, I just live in the UAE at the moment, and I can promise you that Christmas chaos has nothing on Ramadan, but also that it is not excuse for them not getting back to you and rectifying the problem or at least proposing a solution.  Make no mistake; this is nothing more than unwillingness by Paddock to take responsibility over their legal obligations, and unless you stomp on them, they will string you along indefinitely.  Many of us have seen such behaviour from a plethora of businesses over the years and recognise wilful bad service when we see it.

I think Snagger makes a really good point and if it were me I would make them aware of this thread as they need to stop messing around and sort the problem out. I hope they do eventually read this thread because we are all potential customers as far as Paddocks are concerned; speaking for myself I am certainly going to be looking at other suppliers over Paddocks if I need parts that cost more than £50 in the future as I just don't want any hastle if something goes wrong.

In terms of Christmas I think it is acceptable to hear nothing between Christmas eve and the day after New year's day, but after that it is business as usual in my opinion.

I would start to make a right old fuss now if it were my 2 and half grand by showing them this thread and getting trading standards on their case. This is utterly unacceptable, it doesn't matter who or where the damage was caused, not your problem, they need to sort it out.

Another update for those who'd like to know.

Paddocks are now, finally, going to replace my damaged chassis. It's being built and will be delivered in a couple of weeks.

Apparently, due to the ending of the Defender production line, GKN now only build chassis by hand now, they have taken the robotic system offline but they still have the jigs available.

F.Y.I., Marsland order books won't be officially open until sometime in February.

As far as I know, the reason for the lengthy delay has been because no-one had any stock left and Xmas put the proverbial spanner in the works.

Reading between the lines, it would seem as the chassis I ordered before Xmas from Paddock, supplied by Marsland, was one of the last ones they had in stock.

Ho hum.

• Like 1

I suppose that's a good result in the end then even though it has delayed your plans.

I don't like their excuse for the delay - they could have explained that before now and given you the option of either waiting for a new replacement or offered your money back.

I'm actually amazed to hear that there was a robotic system...... the jigs must be knackered as the tolerances are huge!....

Hopefully they're just sending them straight to galv now.... mine had had some sort of dip process when i bought it direct from LR...... guess what. .. it already had rust inside!

Hopefully it'll work out and you'll get your new chassis!

I'm glad to hear you got a positive result.  I agree with Monkie that their lack of communication while resolving the problem was poor service, and I'm not sure you'd have got the replacement if you hadn't pressed them with threats.