Fuel/temp gauge not working

Hi guys

went to switch my defender 200/300tdi on today and noticed the fuel and temp gauges weren't working. I've tested for power at the fuel sender end and temp switch end no power. I tested behind the gauges and no power too. Ive checked fuse which is was good, and tested the were the fuse goes in and shows power there. How does the gauges work, Does the live go through the fuse board, ignition, then to gauges? Am I able to just connect the 2 gauges that don't work to the battery gauge and get the feed from that? 

Many thanks

gauges are usually fed 12v via the ignition switch controlled plain green wire, the 2 colour wires are the signal to gauge from the respective sender units, are the gauge earth wires [plain black] connected at both ends, from instruments it goes to a multi bullet connector then through bulkhead to earth point adjacent to clutch pedal assembly. if not they won't work.

Hi western, thanks for reply.

ill be going outside to have another look gauges in a minute. I've checked and tested the earth (with light tester) at the gauges, there all earthed and the black wires are on back of dials. The sender units are all earthed too. There no live feed coming through the main green wire to the gauges, so the green wire come from the fuse to the ignition switch I take it, so I'll test the power at either side of the ignition? If it's easier am I able to pick up a feed from somewhere and do it that way, and saves trying to find the fault?

many thanks

200tdi wiring diagrams in here Section 86 http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-files/Manuals/Defender-90-110-workshop-manual-5.pdf use pages 68/69 2.5 n/a the basic system wiring is the same including colour codes, fuel sender/gauge is lower right items 67 & 77, plain green goes from gauge direct to fusebox & gives 12v to all gauges.

Sorry for the late reply western.

All sorted I found a live feed and connected it through that and put a inline fuse to be on the safe side. Wire or connection must have been damaged somewhere while fiddling around with dash etc.

Many thanks as always

Welcome to my world - and that of many others it seems. I posted on this on 7th Dec

It might help you. My issues seem to be combo of tank baffles plus electrics so what seems to be the now default replacement sender does not work. Despite discussing and requesting the" sender shown in your picture" i got the default version twice.

Finally got proper job from First Four who were very helpful and actually listned to issues rather than just resorting to "brain dead / send what we got" mode.

Hope you have better luck than me