300Tdi autobox fluid

Monkeyfeet

I know that this one's a bit of old an chestnut that done the rounds, but I have been bothered to search, and still am unsure - It's on a slightly leaking 1995 Tdi bought with a bottle of fluid in the door pocket!

The level should be checked cold, engine running (after cycling through gears) but I can't seem to get a decent reading. I've tried topping up then starting as well as with engine running but don't want to overfill either.

As the reason for the engine running is to accurately distribute the fluid (cooler, pump etc etc ) then that would mean the fluid would be too high when not running, but that's versus the fluid expanding when hot so giving a too-low indication.

I'm just after a starting point - should I see any fluid on the dipstick at all when cold, not running? Or even when warmed up for that matter?

Any hints gratefully accepted.

Correct ATF does expand, hence on some auto dip sticks there's two levels marked i.e., cold, hot, but for the D1 there's only one marked area , so fluid level should be somewhere in between the two 'pips' on the dip stick, preferably close to the top 'pip' with the level taking with the gearbox and fluid cold, as u say, with the engine running selecting slowly the positions from P to 1 and back into P then go and look at the dipstick with the engine still running, takes two or three minutes, simples.

Edited by teabag

Hi to u Monkeyfeet, I've never tried, and it's never crossed my mind to have a look in the similar way we do to check the engine oil level. I've always done what's stated in the handbook book and move the selector etc. 

My Honda Accord auto is checked in the way we do for the engine oil  and the engine/fluid must be hot.

I was just after a reference point really, I'll top it up a touch with some leak stop/ conditioner, leave it, start it, leave it, etc 'till I see a level appear.

Every time I try topping it when it's  running, I just get a load of fluid on the dipstick. Just cautious about overfilling it.

Ok, check the fluid level in the approved way (cold, selector P to 1) and see what is what. Some times in some light its difficult to see the fluid level on the dip stick especially if it new. If there's no sign then add an additional .25 litre wait 1/2 hour and check again in the approved way. Can't think of any other way.

Ok, check the fluid level in the approved way (cold, selector P to 1 etc) and see what is what.

Some times in some light its difficult to see the fluid level on the dip stick especially if it new. If there's no sign then add an additional .25 litre wait 1/2 hour and check again in the approved way. Can't think of any other way.

That's pretty well the guidance I'm after!

Tried yesterday, tipped in rest of the Wynn's stuff, left it, checked and added some fluid. I just couldn't get a decent reading, ie fluid around the dipstick but none at the bottom of it / way up one side only / varitions that didn't help what is an easy check really.

Anyway it was getting dark which didn't help either so left it until this morning. There's no fluid at all showing cold. I'll try again though, 25ml's max a time.

Would it not be easier to drain it and see how much comes out...... then pour it back in /top up to the recommended amount for a drain and refill that would give you a starting point ?? and you would have at least a known amount of oil in there rather that just adding with no real idea

Oil change approx 5 Litres

Dry fill approx 9 Litres

Hi Les,

Yes, I think it would be easier. I put it off yesterday as I'm working outside and the wind had gotten up so I didn't want splashes of fluid everywhere and grit blowing in the funnel / container. But to know for sure I think I'm going to have to just get on with it.

Well, undertheath yesterday, topping up the transfer box fluid and it gave me a chance to find out where the auto box ATF is going. It appears on the joint between the transfer and auto gear boxes. (It's definitely not coming from the auto box sump gasket in the photo). I'm thinking transmission output seal?

From Mr Haynes it looks like its a gearbox and transfer box removal? Not quite a half-hour job. Or I just keep topping it up.<_<

007Leak.jpg