Front drive problems

yorkrover

Hi all. I'm new to this site and was wondering if anybody could help with a drive problem that has me baffled. I am a self taught diy mechanic but have worked in a few garages.

I have a 2005 freelander with td4 engine. 18 months ago I replaced the clutch due to slipping, the conversion kit was used so solid flywheel. Just before Christmas the other half was driving it when there was a big clunk when turning a corner and ended up having it recovered. When I looked underneath the propshaft front cv joint was broke. On further investigation noticed the lower tie rod bolt had dropped out. I replaced the cv and put it back together. When it was driven there was still a clunking sound so jacked it up and put on 4 axle stands. When put into gear the nearside front wheel does not  turn but if you increase the revs it turns but it stops and starts and the traction control light comes on. Thought it could be VCU so disconnected propshaft but still does it. I have now replaced front nearside driveshaft to no avail. Wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction to what it could be. Any help would be much appreciated.

Now bald Neil

Not to be pedantic but the VCU is the bit half way along the rear prop (Viscous Coupling Unit), IRD (Intermediate Reduction Drive) is the 4WD box piggybacking the main gearbox.

With the rear prop disconnected and the main box in neutral engine off, what happens if you try to turn the front wheels by hand?

The 4WD system will have a bit of a fit if you jack the front wheels up & try to drive the fronts with no drive to the rear, it will apply the brakes to the front wheels as it will believe they've lost traction and are spinning, so it may well be masking the issue at hand which could be as simple as a knackered engine mount.

I would be looking along 3 routes.

1. is there an ABS problem on the wheel with the problem?  ie are the brakes being applied by the ABS system to that wheel.  Reasons for this could be a damaged sensor when you took the hub off to replace the cv.

2. is the front diff damaged?  Turning the front wheels by hand might tell you if some diff teeth have dropped off somewhere.

3.  did you replace the whole half shaft or just one end of it?  What is the other end joint like?

I would also be wondering why the front cv failed rather than just going "clunky" or is the sudden failure indicative of something else ?

Good luck, not a good time of year to be crawling under a car.