Sick and tired of the fraudulent Landys

Coventrykid

Every day there are up to four or five defenders on eBay advertised by the same lowlife scammers. They are always priced between £5000 and £7000 approximately and advertised at about a third to a quarter of their market value. The advert states it's 'Classified' and the item description normally has an email addtress for enquiries. If you check the sellers other items there are a number of motor homes and other cars for sale. I am reporting these people daily to eBay and when I was initially looking to buy I actually entered into correspondence with the seller. He/She stated that they were out if the office and currently in Northern Ireland so couldn't show me around the vehicle. They said that they would deliver the vehicle to my home address when I had paid by PayPal and if I didn't like the vehicle they would refund me......Yeah right! I know that 99% of the people on here would spot a fraudulent Landy in a heartbeat but just in case you're looking on here prior to buying please take note. It would also help if any of the members on here reported these scammers along with me, hopefully they may stop after a while.....probably not though. These adverts are placed on hacked accounts, have no previous seller feedback for vehicle sales and use other genuine buyers Landrover photographs. 

3 hours ago, Coventrykid said:

Every day there are up to four or five defenders on eBay advertised by the same lowlife scammers. They are always priced between £5000 and £7000 approximately and advertised at about a third to a quarter of their market value. The advert states it's 'Classified' and the item description normally has an email addtress for enquiries. If you check the sellers other items there are a number of motor homes and other cars for sale. I am reporting these people daily to eBay and when I was initially looking to buy I actually entered into correspondence with the seller. He/She stated that they were out if the office and currently in Northern Ireland so couldn't show me around the vehicle. They said that they would deliver the vehicle to my home address when I had paid by PayPal and if I didn't like the vehicle they would refund me......Yeah right! I know that 99% of the people on here would spot a fraudulent Landy in a heartbeat but just in case you're looking on here prior to buying please take note. It would also help if any of the members on here reported these scammers along with me, hopefully they may stop after a while.....probably not though. These adverts are placed on hacked accounts, have no previous seller feedback for vehicle sales and use other genuine buyers Landrover photographs. 

Just ignore them.

3 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

Think that's bad - go and look at Nene Valley's site, or Khan Conversions

That made me laugh ;) 

SteveG I'm not in the market for another Defender at the moment so it's easy to ignore them but I really do feel for those very few people who do actually part with their hard earned. These scumbags are also nicking genuine Landy sales photographs for their adverts and hacking eBay accounts. I think I'm more frustrated with eBay who make it so easy for em....

Helping a customer look for a Defender at the moment and we've come across at least six fraudulent ads this week.  Reported them all but ebay don't take them down.

Normally pretty easy to spot as the username is new with little or no feedback and the car is mint and way below value, and then there's the spelling and grammar..

This subject raised its head on here every so often, there was quite an active thread on here for a while of people posting and reporting of vehicles, but it kinda becomes a bit of a full time job... I know I did it for quite a few months and ebay do take the ads down if you report them correctly, but its hard keeping that up. I'll see if I can dig out the thread.

I had a South Africa guy send me a cheque for my old one  , it was a really low quality cheque a step up from colouring pencils , took to HSBC  ( friend works there) just because I wanted to see what they would say and ran the numbers and said don't even try to cash it left 10mins later got called back as the numbers came up in there fraud departments and they contacted the bank , so they guy called a couple days later ,  told him what happen in a not very polite way and within a week had another rubber cheque sent !!!! These people are relentless , but then they only have to fool one for a payday and there plenty of idiots about

I'm finding the same with amaroks at the moment, the same 2 trucks every couple of days advertised for £6k, 2013/14 highlines with all the toys, and an obviously spam listing. Email address to contact is always tracey@rafmod.co.uk. Boils my blood!

On 1/24/2017 at 11:25 AM, honitonhobbit said:

Think that's bad - go and look at Nene Valley's site, or Khan Conversions

Interesting that the 110 Defender icon heritage is fitted with wheels that are not rated for a 110 despite their boast of having "30 years of real off road experience"

Somebody who lives near a friend of mine, had a Khan 90. Until it was stolen. The police recovered it 3 hours later, well some of it. Basically all the fancy bodywork, wheels and engine had been stripped from it and the remainder dumped in a field.

Then there are things like this.

http://twistedautomotive.com/current-stock/view/twisted-t80-90-station-wagon/

Or, in a similar vein to the original post, vehicles(?) like this 2a.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-2a-Td5-Automatic-with-Trailer-and-Generator-/192089074920?hash=item2cb966ace8:g:-cYAAOSwEzxYQALs

Edited by neil110
  • Like 1

What I find more amazing is that anyone falls for these scams , I was talking to my next door neighbour about their tractor,they are horsey people with more money than sense(no offence to anyone !) and it turns out that before purchasing their tractor off of someone they knew they actually fell for an eBay scam on a too good to be true tractor add , it was their bank that saved them 9 grand by refusing the payment !,I guess if a prospective buyer doesn't really know what they are looking at then that's how they fall for it although how anyone could part with 9 grand on a promise of delivery after payment is beyond me . On the subject of rip off Khan motors I had an ad pop up on my google today for a 110 double cab   at Khan , all the add on wings etc ?15 reg with 20k miles , a snip at £69,995 ?Now that is fraudulent!

6 hours ago, neil110 said:

Interesting that the 110 Defender icon heritage is fitted with wheels that are not rated for a 110 despite their boast of having "30 years of real off road experience"

Somebody who lives near a friend of mine, had a Khan 90. Until it was stolen. The police recovered it 3 hours later, well some of it. Basically all the fancy bodywork, wheels and engine had been stripped from it and the remainder dumped in a field.

Then there are things like this.

http://twistedautomotive.com/current-stock/view/twisted-t80-90-station-wagon/

Or, in a similar vein to the original post, vehicles(?) like this 2a.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-2a-Td5-Automatic-with-Trailer-and-Generator-/192089074920?hash=item2cb966ace8:g:-cYAAOSwEzxYQALs

That twisted 90 , how do they even try to justify that price ? And as for the "2A td5 110 with galv  chassis , disco axles etc , what really needs to be said ?

They need to add a line to the "Bad Points"

"This is a totally illegal vehicle which will be confiscated the first time anyone in authority look at it."

Couldn't see a single series part on it, or even anything that looked close except the number plate!.

Thing is whilst he has obscured the registration number on the truck you can still read it on the trailer. BVG 855C

The question is how does one report such a vehicle to DVLA?

Having jumped through all the hoops when I put a new chassis under an airportable it upsets me when people do stuff like this with no intention of following any of the regulations at all.