200/300 glow plug timer relay

Bandog

The only way it can drop the voltage is if the internal contacts are badly burned - in which case its scrap anyway. I assume you have checked that there isn't a burnt/melted contact in the connector plug? If all is well there, then I would suggest a new relay.

Bit confused by your wording " I get a current drop down to around 10 v plus a bit"

Current is measured in amps, not volts. 10v sounds a bit low when the plugs are on - it sounds like a high resistance somewhere - internal contacts/connector to relay/fuse contacts - in aux fuse box next to heater box.

Edited by simonb

OK. It's wired into a genuine disco relay, and comes on for around 10 seconds when activated. The light goes out OK. I can hear it clicking on and off, and the light in the dash correlates to this. 

The voltage goes from 10 and slowly creeps up to 11.6 before timing out. 

(as they are getting hotter, I guess that it takes less juice?) 

The warning light has to come directly off number 4 glow plug, because the discovery glow plug wire on the relay plug, only supplies around point 6 of a volt. Assuming the disco glow plug warning light is a low voltage resistor or led maybe?  It's a common complaint about this set up in the series land rover. 

Incidentally, I have two relays, both do exactly the same. 12 v goes into the relay, and 10 comes out?  Thanks for the help 

Because I want it to work if the weather gets cold. I have a separate switch. I have heard 200s in very cold weather, no glow plugs, trying to fuse 450 amp cable whilst cranking. It's a myth that the 200 doesn't need them. They do. 

No disrespect at all, but why do all UK specification 200tdis have them fitted in the factory. Millions of pounds of research and development and then Fred in the shed cuts the wires because "y don't need um"

Its a little bit like a layman (normal motorists) saying, "why do you need a winch, you have a 4x4!"

Yes most of the year they are redundant. But when you really want them, and don't have the option, it is the difference between stop or go. Besides overloading the starter motor. Not trying to be annoying, it's just me personally like things to be right. 

Edited by Bandog
Needed additional information

The voltage drop you are seeing is the consequence of the high current being taken by the glow plugs (around 70A if they are working properly) and the contact resistance in the glow plug relay. The resistance of the wiring and the connectors on the relay won't help either. 

As the plugs get hot, the current reduces (down to less than 40A after around 10 seconds) which is why the voltage goes up. 

Sounds like your relay is working fine, although it's to be expected that a used relay will have higher contact resistance than a new one. 

You really need to measure the current, not the voltage, to determine if the plugs are working OK. They fail by going high resistance.

• Like 1