V8 Throttle Linkage

need4speed

Had a look at mine.

Flapper plenum doesn't have a stepper motor or the hole for one. I don't know what issues there might be with the position of a stepper motor and the flapper linkage assembly.

Flapper plenum has a ninth injector - on the offside upper face of the plenum - for cold start. Disconnected mine by unplugging the electrical connector when I bought the car & have never had an issue.

Distance between the top bolts centres that hold the linkage to the plenum are 73.85mm.

The bottom two are closer together with the one nearest the plenum being more or less directly under the butterfly spindle & the other is about 35mm towards the hose end of the plenum with one being slightly lower than the other.

The bolt positions look the same as in your post  'And removed linkage' so I think it likely that the flapper one will fit.

Go back to Nige's pic & look at the jubilee clip on the hose from the plenum. Go straight back from that towards the bulkhead for about 1cm & you'll see the back part of the linkage mount. Mine has a horn projecting towards the nearside which mounts the outer cable of the kickdown cable. Looks like Nige has cut that off to avoid it fouling the metal pipe. Not a problem & with a manual box it isn't required so you can cut that off but I would suggest you leave the bit bolted to it that goes to the plenum whilst you do it to avoid further embarrassing posts :)

Edited by paintman

10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

...You can fit the throttle cable both ways onto the linkage.... Either top or bottom of the butterfly arm...

Ahh that's interesting Bowie. I will take a look at making a bracket.

35 minutes ago, paintman said:

Had a look at mine.

Flapper plenum doesn't have a stepper motor or the hole for one. I don't know what issues there might be with the position of a stepper motor and the flapper linkage assembly.

Flapper plenum has a ninth injector - on the offside upper face of the plenum - for cold start. Disconnected mine by unplugging the electrical connector when I bought the car & have never had an issue.

Distance between the top bolts centres that hold the linkage to the plenum are 73.85mm.

The bottom two are closer together with the one nearest the plenum being more or less directly under the butterfly spindle & the other is about 35mm towards the hose end of the plenum with one being slightly lower than the other.

The bolt positions look the same as in your post  'And removed linkage' so I think it likely that the flapper one will fit.

Go back to Nige's pic & look at the jubilee clip on the hose from the plenum. Go straight back from that towards the bulkhead for about 1cm & you'll see the back part of the linkage mount. Mine has a horn projecting towards the nearside which mounts the outer cable of the kickdown cable. Looks like Nige has cut that off to avoid it fouling the metal pipe. Not a problem & with a manual box it isn't required so you can cut that off but I would suggest you leave the bit bolted to it that goes to the plenum whilst you do it to avoid further embarrassing posts :)

That's a great reply thanks. If I can find a flapper linkage I will give that a try. Mind you the chances of someone splitting the linkage from a plenum are probably remote.

I may have to try and make a bracket as Bowie suggests.

I will give Nige a shout - if anyone has throttle linkage it's probably him.

Yeah don't take anything on Nige's as standard!

Interested how people are getting full-size filters in behind EFI V8's, couldn't squeeze it on t'ambulance so ended up going 200TDi to match the 109 setup.

Does mean I have a secret hoard of original 110 V8 filter boxes though :ph34r: one day I'll manage to get one in...

needy4speedy!! my flapper accelerator brackets bolted straight onto the 3,9 Plenum Nige sent me with my MS kit, no problems, only thing I had to change was the air bleed screw adjustment so that my 3,5 would idle properly.

but.... my flapper bracket fouls the pipes for the "PWM" valve, so I have had to bodge that a little, will send some pics later today when I get my iPad into the garage.

Speedy4needy, here is my throttle linkage, it is "backwards" to the standard one that came with the 3,9 plenum, I suppose because of the LHD? but not sure.

remember this vehicle was changed from 2,5NAS to RRC 3,5 flapper at some point in its life by someone with a christmas tree wiring fetish which was what triggered my need for MS so I could redo the wiring. so i can't guarantee that my bracket is anything original.

20170210_083541_resized_2.jpg

here you see how close the brake servo is to my pipes, had to shorten the elbow so the AFM pipe didn't buzz against the steel servo casing.

20170210_083628_resized_2.jpg

here is my challenge with my PWM (extra Air flow valve), my bracket is in the way, used one of my bent pipes to get it over the bracket but also not perfect. 

20170210_083642_resized_2.jpg

here from the other side, if I had the 9th injector in the back of the plenum (i think that is what the bracket on the back is for) then my cable would foul that.

20170210_083700_resized_2.jpg

from the front, you can just see the black allen key screw of the idle bleed screw peeking out of the side of the throttle body.

20170210_083711_resized_2.jpg

from the back of the engine, the bracket just bolts onto the 3 bolts on the side of the throttle body, the thread on both the flapper plenum and the 3,9 plenum were an imperial thread, 11 spanner, about a 6mm thick screw with a coarser thread than an M6 so be careful not to try force a M6 into there.

hope this helps.....

Edited by bodumatau

Yes it will. But the 3.5 Flapper linkage is ferking huge and the hotwire linkage neater and smaller. you will fit the flapper linkage gets in the way of the PWM hoses etc. Whats wring with the hotwire linkage vs flapper ?

my old 4.5 had a hotwire linkage, I unbolted the cruise control bits and trimmed in down to make smaller ...

N

Bodumatau

The bracket on the back of your plenum is for the hotwire stepper motor which the flapper doesn't have & the flapper plenums I've seen don't have the hole for it, just a small pipe to attach a vacuum pipe

Your throttle linkage is the flapper one - not backwards due to LHD.

The 9th injector on the flapper plenum is on the side directly opposite the air intake, visible on the photo in Nige's post about halfway down the page:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/7010-v8-su-efi-conversion/

I did suggest making up a throttle linkage using the existing hotwire one, much as in the pics on FF's post on the first page.

Edited by paintman

2 hours ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Yes it will. But the 3.5 Flapper linkage is ferking huge and the hotwire linkage neater and smaller. you will fit the flapper linkage gets in the way of the PWM hoses etc. Whats wring with the hotwire linkage vs flapper ?

my old 4.5 had a hotwire linkage, I unbolted the cruise control bits and trimmed in down to make smaller ...

N

Nige take a look at the pics I have posted in this thread and you will see my problem lol. 

Its looking like I will need to make a bracket now that I cut my Linkage so that it wouldn't get smack in the way of my afm/intake hose.

Suggestion.

Put the plenum back on with the bit you left on when you cut it & then put the hoses on so you have that part all connected.

Strip all the gubbins off the bit you cut off.

Modify that bit so you can reattach the bit with the cable hole to the rest of the mechanism so the cable can go over the top of the hoses - you'll  need to weld that bit in its new place. 

If you can't do your own welding or have someone that can do it in situ then I can see where there might be a bit of a problem.

20 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Why would Thor require different MS bits? :huh:

Not sure john but I was just looking at niges site and it seemed like there was quite a few Thor-specific parts needed? 

3 minutes ago, paintman said:

Suggestion.

Put the plenum back on with the bit you left on when you cut it & then put the hoses on so you have that part all connected.

Strip all the gubbins off the bit you cut off.

Modify that bit so you can reattach the bit with the cable hole to the rest of the mechanism so the cable can go over the top of the hoses - you'll  need to weld that bit in its new place. 

If you can't do your own welding or have someone that can do it in situ then I can see where there might be a bit of a problem.

It's looking more and more like I will be doing exactly this bud.

Probably something you aready know, but normal route for the hotwire throttle cable is to the top of the horn (it's the short bit of cleanly cut cable visible in your pic), the unravelling one with the little silver bit crimped onto the cable is a kickdown cable for auto gearboxes & on yours can be binned.

Edited by paintman